turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Me and my wife pass the substantial presence test for 2017, can we file just form 1040 considered resident aliens for the whole year or we have file dual 1040+1040NR?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Me and my wife pass the substantial presence test for 2017, can we file just form 1040 considered resident aliens for the whole year or we have file dual 1040+1040NR?

what are your visas and when did you come to the US?
JulieH1

If you are certain you meet the substantial presence test, you can file a 1040.  No need to file the 1040NR.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/substantial-presence-test

thanks, It's the first year we pay taxes here and we had income in a foreign country before coming to the US early 2017, do we have to declare that income on the 1040 ?

this answer would only apply if you were resident aliens for the entire year, which you might not be.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies