Ask the Experts Self-Employed & Gig Workers! >> Event happening TODAY!

funiluniuni

Married Filing Jointly

Without knowing how my husband has completed his W-4, how can I adjust my W-4 so less money is taken out of my paycheck? We have 2 child dependents, one of which may have been born after our last W-4 update. Also, we have been getting a refund of about $4000 from the federal govt; I would like to decrease the refund and get more from my paycheck.

funiluniuni

Married Filing Jointly

ZeeEA20

Married Filing Jointly

Hello @funiluniuni 

It would depend what credits/deductions are available to you when you file your tax return. To calculate your withholding for multiple jobs and/or working spouse the easiest way to do that is to use TurboTax's W-4 Withholding Calculator  . It will walk you through a series of questions about your income, tax deductions, and credits, and it provides instructions for completing Step 3 and 4 of the form.

You and your husband can adjust your W-4 at any time during the year. Just remember, adjustments made later in the year will have less impact on your taxes for that year.

Hope this helps!