turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask the Experts Self-Employed & Gig Workers! >> Event happening TODAY!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Returning Member

Married Filing Jointly

Without knowing how my husband has completed his W-4, how can I adjust my W-4 so less money is taken out of my paycheck? We have 2 child dependents, one of which may have been born after our last W-4 update. Also, we have been getting a refund of about $4000 from the federal govt; I would like to decrease the refund and get more from my paycheck.

2 Replies
Returning Member

Married Filing Jointly

Expert Alumni

Married Filing Jointly

Hello @funiluniuni 


It would depend what credits/deductions are available to you when you file your tax return. To calculate your withholding for multiple jobs and/or working spouse the easiest way to do that is to use TurboTax's W-4 Withholding Calculator  . It will walk you through a series of questions about your income, tax deductions, and credits, and it provides instructions for completing Step 3 and 4 of the form.

You and your husband can adjust your W-4 at any time during the year. Just remember, adjustments made later in the year will have less impact on your taxes for that year.


Hope this helps!



**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question

Related Content

Manage cookies