turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Make sure Federal Efile works first before paying Intuit to efile state return

Don't make the $24.95 mistake!!!  If your federal 1040 won't successfully efile, then your state won't either.  For example, even though the AGI was put in correctly from previous years as instructed (even TurboTax confirmed it through their program as well as paper copy) it was rejected by feds for efiling (tried twice). It was also rejected by state because it was rejected by feds.  Incorrect AGI is the reason for the rejection.

I thought I could at least get my $24.95 back from TurboTax/Intuit, but alas, they have said that their "effort" to transmit it what we pay for not the actual transmission.

So, buyer beware.  Don't be in a hurry.  If you can't get the Feds to successfully accept an efile, you most likely won't get your state to either.  Wait to file your state until AFTER you get confirmation that you've succesfully efiled your federal return.

Last year I did not efile these two returns of two of my children.  I mailed them.  Not sure what the problem is but it looks like I'll mail them again.  And Intuit gets to keep both state efile transmission fees!  Not happy but hopefully someone will read this and learn not to do what I did!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

...still...attempt to e-file them again using a zero for the prior year AGI. 

Many times, the prior year AGI for a mailed tax return doesn't get recorded in the E-file system, and you said you mailed them...so a zero might work.

Maybe their procedures have changed, but in prior years, if you were forced to mail-file the state from the Desktop software after a rejection (or repeated rejections) they would refund/credit the state e-file fee. 

Maybe the person you talked to thought you were using the "Online" software...for that, they don't do a refund....but at least in prior years, the "desktop" state e-file fee was refundable/creditable.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

SteamTrain,

You're a lifesaver.  the Zero worked. All is good.

But I did finish another and waited to file the states until I knew the fed was accepted.

I think you were absolutely correct on the fact that the two were rejected because they didn't have the AGI in the system.

Thanks again!

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies