Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MA State - 1099-HC "missing" coverage, but I have 1095-B showcasing full coverage. How do I enter it?

This is in reference to the MA State, not Federal. 

I understand that 1095-B is not required anymore for the Federal Return, however, MA state still requires coverage.

My problem is that the 1099-HC I received is only showing partial coverage (though I had full coverage all year). I have deduced that this is related to having been on 2 different plans during 2020. Both were provided by the same private insurer, but the first plan was through Mass Health Connector and the second via employer.  Only the coverage from the employer provided plan is showing up on the 1099-HC. The other plan doesn't appear to provide a 1099-HC, but does provide a 1095-B. 

So my question is how do I enter both, specifically 1095-B? I need to showcase that I had full coverage, but see no way to do that.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

MA State - 1099-HC "missing" coverage, but I have 1095-B showcasing full coverage. How do I enter it?

TurboTax allows you to enter more than one health insurance plan for Massachusetts. There is also a box to check if you did not receive Form 1099-HC.

Enter the name of your insurer, their federal ID number and your subscriber number.

Related Resource:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

TurboTax allows you to enter more than one health insurance plan for Massachusetts. There is also a box to check if you did not receive Form 1099-HC.

Enter the name of your insurer, their federal ID number and your subscriber number.

Related Resource:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

TurboTax's user interface is really bad here, why is that checkbox only available for the first insurance company section? And checking it doesn't even change anything that's visible to the user, so what's it actually doing? And why is there a separate section for MassHealth when ConnectorCare is MassHealth?

I ended up completing this before seeing this response, but frankly I had to make educated guesses on all of the fields. I called my private insurer and I called ConnectorCare / MassHealth, none of whom could provide direct answers.  Those they provided were just as confusing as TurboTax's UI.

TurboTax's UI pushes this idea of you have to enter boxes from 1099-HC even when you check that you don't have a 1099-HC...that's confusing.

For "Insurance company (or administrator) name" do they want the private plan provider's name or the name of who it's provided through (ConnectorCare/MassHealth)?

For "Federal Identification Number": that's a little clearer, but even there the 1095-B lists it under a different title "EIN". It's the same thing, but unfortunately that's confusing for regular Joe's like me.

For "Subscriber #", is that going to the plan subscriber number from my private insurer or the subscriber number from MassHealth? I have both.

To be fair, I get it, the whole situation is confusing when you have a private plan backed through a public system, but TurboTax should really understand and explain these situations to users far more clearly. Now I just have to hope the state of MA got the correct answers they were looking for.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies