Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Loading Multiple Versions of Turbo Tax for 2023 on one computer

Can I load multiple versions of Turbo Tax (ie, Delux and Home & Business) for 2023 on the same computer?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies

No you cannot do that, and doing so would be pointless.  Every version of the CD/download has all of the same forms and schedules.   And..if you are thinking that would be a way to get more than five federal e-files, it would not.  The five e-file limit is an IRS limit.   The only other CD/download you can install on the same computer for the same tax year would be TurboTax Business--which is only for returns for businesses such as S-corps, C-corps, multi-member partnerships or estates.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

TurboTax Home & Business does everything that Deluxe does and more, so there is no reason to have both versions installed. Home & Business will handle all tax situations.

IF preparing more than 5 federal returns, one has to purchase another license and load the new software on another computer, then log-in with a different account to file. 

Sorry---you cannot do that.   The IRS limit is five federal e-files.  It is not a TurboTax limit.   You cannot install the two versions of the same year CD/download on the same computer.   If you have more than five returns to prepare for family members, the other ones have to be filed by mail.  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Each filer only has Federal 1 return and 1 state return.  Does this IRS limitation of 5 Federal e-filings still hold true?

Yes.    When you do "self-prepared" tax returns using tax software there is an IRS limit of five federal e-files.      

If you have a lot of returns----the "extra" ones can only be filed by mail.   

Yes of course.  1 person can't file 5 returns for themselves anyway.  And you never could efile more than 5 returns or installed 2 programs on the same computer.  Don't know what you did that worked before.  Did you use more than 1 computer?  Nothing has changed this year.  

I did this last year but cant figure out how this year. 

I have to do my brother's supplemental needs trust on one and my personal on the other.

Oh for a trust you need Turbo Tax Business (not to be confused with personal Home & Business).  You can  have TT Business and any personal program installed on the same computer at the same time.  They  are separate different programs.

You can buy the stand alone do it yourself Business CD/Download program for Windows here (it is not available to do online or for Mac). There are 2 ways to buy it. If you want a CD you need to pick the Advantage Plan in the right box.
https://turbotax.intuit.com/small-business-taxes/cd-download

dmertz
Level 15

It used to be possible to get around the 5-e-file limitation by installing TurboTax on different computers, but TurboTax has closed that loophole.

kmc9575
Returning Member

I downloaded & used Deluxe to do my family's taxes.  I forgot I have my own home business to take care of yoo.  Can I do that on Deluxe?  It won't let me download the Home & business version.

If you have desktop Deluxe, you can upgrade it to Home and Business if you want to.  Deluxe can provide all of the forms and schedules for self-employment, but you get more help with Home and Business.  You do not have to purchase another download.  Go up to the TT tool bar on the top of the screen and look for the upgrade button.  You can upgrade and just pay the difference between the Deluxe price and the Home and Business price.

dmertz
Level 15

Unlike the online versions of TurboTax. all versions of the CD/download version of TurboTax support the same forms.  The higher versions just provide more guidance in step-by-step mode.  Anything you can do in Home & Business you can do in downloaded Basic, Deluxe or Premier, it just might take a little bit more effort on your part.

johninCO

Absolutely something changed this year - the additional need for an account login .  I have done 6 in the past (family members) and was able to file all electronically. Software gets worse every year

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies