Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Legally separated head of household

Legally separated and live in basement, I support myself and my dependent son who is in college.

My legally separated spouse lives in upper half of house and supports her 3 children, 2 in college, 1 in high school.

According to one answer I read on here it said two people can live at the same address and both claim HOH if they both are taking care of their own dependents.

This is sticky water and not been able to find a clear answer as we were a blended family and have our own children.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Phillip1

Legally separated head of household

If you have a permanent legal separation or a divorce decree, you will have no problem with claiming head of household in the same structure as your former spouse.

However, if you are still considered married, making a claim of "living separate from your spouse for the last 6 months of the year" might cause some issues. When the IRS examines tax returns, the agents often take a "facts and circumstances" approach with rules like dependents, filing statuses, and itemized deductions. This means that the IRS will take a rule like living separate from your spouse for the last 6 months of the year, and disallow your use of the head of household filing status. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies