turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Leaving US and taking money

I'm asking for a friend. She's a green card holder leaving US forever, will wire transfer her savings over $80k to her polish bank account in Poland. Next year when it comes to filing taxes, does she have to fill out FBAR or 8938 forms that she had foreign bank account? She will open it after leaving US and the money comes from work, she paid taxes and saved. She will close US bank account once she transfers the money. She will file as a U. S resident for a whole year. Thank you

3 Replies
Level 14
Level 14

Leaving US and taking money

@Japtrupusz ,  US tax rules are the same for  all US persons ( citizen / GreenCard) -- whether one is residing in the USA or abroad  -- to maintain GreenCard valid one must enter US at least once a year ( unless  dispensed  by Immigration authorities).   As a US person, one must still tax return, and comply with FBAR and FATCA regulations just as if one was living on mainland US or its territories.


Does this answer your query ?   Is there more I can do for you ?


Leaving US and taking money

Thank you for your answer. We are still confused. If somebody leaves US soon, abandons green card, I read they need to get sailing permit? I thought if we still have to file taxes next year, we don't need to let IRS about leaving? 

Leaving US and taking money

To ensure the departing person files their final tax return there are rules :  




message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies