turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

qttr4n

I'm filing married, separately. Spouse is not a U.S. citizen, has no U.S. income. No SSN/ITIN and we are not filing for one. How do I file my return? (Form and address?)

I'm looking to find out what to put on the form for the SSN (Turbotax keeps giving me an error if I leave it blank). If I can e-file that would be ideal, but if not, where do I send the return to? Is it the same address for both the Fed/State return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I'm filing married, separately. Spouse is not a U.S. citizen, has no U.S. income. No SSN/ITIN and we are not filing for one. How do I file my return? (Form and address?)

Leave the space blank, try to ignore the error if the program will let you. You have to print your return and file it by mail. Write “NRA” in the space for your spouses tax number. The address will depend on what state you live in; when you print your return, there will be a cover page with instructions including the correct mailing address and what documents you need to attach to the printed return. Don’t forget that you will also have to print and mail your state tax return since you can’t e-file your state return unless you also e-file your federal return. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Leave the space blank, try to ignore the error if the program will let you. You have to print your return and file it by mail. Write “NRA” in the space for your spouses tax number. The address will depend on what state you live in; when you print your return, there will be a cover page with instructions including the correct mailing address and what documents you need to attach to the printed return. Don’t forget that you will also have to print and mail your state tax return since you can’t e-file your state return unless you also e-file your federal return. 

qttr4n

For NY State it says that since it was prepared using software, it must be e-filed. Turbotax won't let me e-file as I'm unable to e-file my federal return... What do I do in this case?

Just mail it.  There is an exception in NY that you don't have to e-file if the software doesn't allow it.  (In this specific case, the requirement that a state return can't be e-filed unless the federal is e-filed first or at the same time is a security procedure put in place to help the states prevent fraud.  A few years ago there was a rash of fraudulent state returns where crooks would file several state returns claiming large fraudulent refunds, without filing matching federal returns, because the states had much weaker fraud detection methods.)
qttr4n

OK that makes sense. Thanks for your help!!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies