Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Last year I made quarterly estimated tax payments using the IRS online account, how can I report them in my 2021 tax return? I don't receive a W-2 form.

This is my first time using Turbotax
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Last year I made quarterly estimated tax payments using the IRS online account, how can I report them in my 2021 tax return? I don't receive a W-2 form.

To enter, edit or delete estimated taxes paid (Federal, State, Local) -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • On Estimates, click on the start or update button

Or enter estimates paid in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to estimates paid

Or click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen.
Click on Tools
Click on Topic Search
Type in estimated tax payments, click on GO

Federal estimated taxes paid are entered on Form 1040 Line 26

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

If you made quarterly payments, you do not need a W2 to report them. You can enter the payments you made in TurboTax by selecting the following:

• Federal
  • Deductions and Credits
  • Show More next to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • Start next to estimated tax payments

Your payment total will then appear on Schedule 3 line 15 which will flow to line 27 of your 1040. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your reply.

I have another question: how do I report tax benefits for education?

Thank you,

Carola

AamilD
Expert Alumni

To report education deductions/credits, please follow the steps below:

1. Click on Tax Home from Left Side Menu
  2. Click on Deductions & Credits from the Main Screen
  3. Scroll Down and you will see a section titled "Education". Within this section you can  you can enter the education information. For example if you received a 1098-T, you will click on Start next to "Expenses and Scholarships", within this section and fill in the information. It will then ask you additional questions to determine if you qualify for other credits like American Opportunity Credit or Lifetime Learning Credit.

Thank you for your reply, but I think I have to explain better.

Last year, (2021) I was paid through ORISE. The institute didn't give me a 1099 or W-2. In 2021, I made quarterly tax payments. The fellowship does not withhold Social Security or Medicare taxes for any participant. The participants are not self-employed.

I am trying to understand how to report this for my 2021 tax in Turbotax.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, award payments are taxable and this is how to report the payments received.. After reporting this as income, you will enter the quarterly tax payments that Vanessa A has outlined above. To report your income:

1. Go to federal>income and expenses>all income>>show more 
  2. Less Common Income> Start
  3. Miscellaneous Income,>start 
  4. Other reportable income>start
  5. Next screen asks Any Other Taxable Income>yes
  6. The next screen will allow you to report the income with a brief explanation.
  7. Here you can report this is ORISE Award Received Then the amount of the the award.

@it_carola

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
tom17

Under "FEDERAL TAXES" press the "Deductions & Credits tab. The scroll down to "Estimates and Other Taxes Paid." The first item listed is "Estimates" which is where to enter your quarterly estimated payments.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies