rosemlima

Last year I got money back from both. This year it will not let me file unless I pay the remaining balance from last year. Why is it telling me I owe when i dont?

DaraLO
Employee TurboTax Specialist

I would like clarification.  Are you being asked to pay the remaining balance for TurboTax fees?

rosemlima

No, its telling me I owe state from last year. But I got money back. So I dont understand why I have to pay state for last year when I got money back 

Your question doesn't make sense,  please use the actual year In your post.  Turbo Tax doesn't know if you still owe for a prior year 2018 or before.

Sounds like you got Refunds for your 2018 returns.   Each year is separate.  Sounds like you have a state tax due this year for 2019.  You don't always get a refund.  You didn't have enough state withholding taken out or you entered an amount wrong.  Check your W2 state withholding in box 17.