turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Last ta (2018)I filed a injured spouse because spouses student loan went into default. This year (2019)spouse did not work . Do I need to file injured spouse again?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Last ta (2018)I filed a injured spouse because spouses student loan went into default. This year (2019)spouse did not work . Do I need to file injured spouse again?

Yes, you should still file as injured spouse if you're filing Married Filing Jointly.  An injured spouse seeks to protect your share of the joint refund in case it gets seized or offset due to your spouse's debts or unpaid obligations.

Related information: How do I file Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for the reply. Follow up question, last year I had to do it by hand and mail in the injured spouse form.  This year I would like to included it in my taxes when I file via turbo tax.  How do I find this form and at what stage of filing does it go under? I just want to make sure I file everything correctly this year some my taxes go smooth and my refund is on time.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Yes, the Form 8379 Injured Spouse Allocation can be filed electronically with your tax return when you are using Turbo Tax to e-file the return. ... However, if you have already e-filed your tax return, you'll need to mail the 8379 to the IRS.

This link to the TurboTax help page How do I file Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation? has information that you may find useful.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your help!

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

You and your spouse could also file separate returns to protect your refund.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies