Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband Has been in jail since May 16,18 We are married he was head of household does this mean I just have to claim head of household now

My husband is in jail and has been there since may16 2018 I have three kids and supporting him do I claim head of household 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

My husband Has been in jail since May 16,18 We are married he was head of household does this mean I just have to claim head of household now

Keep filing the way you were - Married Filing Jointly.  Neither of you should file as Head of Household since you are married.  You get a better deduction as Married Filing Jointly.   It doesn't matter that he is in jail, that doesn't change your filing status.  You can still claim the MFJ filing status.  

View solution in original post

4 Replies
BobB7

Why weren't you filing a joint return?  That would be the obvious choice both last year and this, assuming that you guys really are married.

We are married I was just asking to we fill jointly or do I just file head of household for the last two years we have filed as married, but with him being incarcerated I didn’t know do I just file the same way we have been doing it
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Keep filing the way you were - Married Filing Jointly.  Neither of you should file as Head of Household since you are married.  You get a better deduction as Married Filing Jointly.   It doesn't matter that he is in jail, that doesn't change your filing status.  You can still claim the MFJ filing status.  

Never said i did file mfj, just asking a question and yes we really are married  Jan22, 2016 thank you 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies