nicholasleinhaus

Just filed. I've always got my PA state taxes back in full, but this year turbo tax says I'm getting zero back. Only made 11,000 all year. Why is this? Are they wrong?

re2boys

Review your answers regarding the PA "special credit" :  PA Tax Forgiveness Credit, Schedule SP  In the past, you may have been eligilble for this credit.  You may have  had other, nontaxable income that made you ineligible this years.

See:  http://www.revenue.pa.gov/FormsandPublications/FormsforIndividuals/PIT/Documents/rev-631.pdf

for more detail.

re2boys

for more detail.

nicholasleinhaus

Thanks. I was able to find a chart describing what percentage of state tax is refunded based on how much I made. Because I'm single and made over $11,000, I'm not eligible for any PA tax forgiveness. In the past I made less, as I only work part time, therefore I was eligible for more.
LeeM

I would first print your 2016 and 2017 state returns and compare them line by line. This will help you determine what has changed, if there are any discrepancies/items you missed or if you need to change any of the information you entered into TurboTax.

There are several factors that go in to determining the taxes you owe.

If your income decreased, that sometimes can reduce your refund due to you not having enough earned income or withholdings to receive the deductions or credits you did before.