turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I thought I was doing my taxes for 2017 but the turbo tax page was on 2018. The thing is I put in the w-2's for 2017 in 2018 returns and sent it

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I thought I was doing my taxes for 2017 but the turbo tax page was on 2018. The thing is I put in the w-2's for 2017 in 2018 returns and sent it

First ... step 1 ... breath ... there is nothing that cannot be corrected ... the world will not come to an end over this ... you are not the first to make this error and certainly will not be the last. 

Then  ... step 2 ... pray the 2018 return is rejected ....

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you just e-filed.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return. If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and make the necessary changes to your tax return and re-submit your return with the right year info. 

If the IRS accepts your return, then you have to wait until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return 1040X and mail it in. You cannot e-file an amended return.  Meanwhile, DO NOT change anything on your return until you start the amended return.

You can amend returns that have been accepted by the IRS. If your return is pending, you won't be able to make any changes until it's accepted or rejected by the IRS. If you don't know your e-file status, we can help you check it.

Select a tax year for specific amending instructions.

Keep in mind: You have 3 years from the date you filed your return (or 2 years after you paid the tax due, whichever is later) to file an amended return, which means you don't have to get it done by the April 15 filing deadline.

And then step 3 ... correctly file a 2017 return ... this can be done now.

How do I prepare a prior-year tax return?

1.    Select your TurboTax product for the year you'd like to file. (Unfortunately, TurboTax Online is only available for the current tax year.)

2.    Select your operating system.

3.    Purchase your TurboTax product.

4.    Download and install your TurboTax product.

5.    Complete your return in TurboTax. We'll guide you through the process.

6.    When finished, print and file a paper return through the mail. (Prior-year returns cannot be e-filed.)

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Oh no.  That was a big mistake.  Did you e-file it or mail it in an envelope?  If it was e-filed, has it been accepted? <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/">https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/ef...>
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Just an FYI in case you did e-file and the return was rejected (you will receive an e-mail from TurboTax if it was rejected or accepted).  You would need to purchase the TurboTax 2017 software to file the 2017 return and it has to be mailed.  You won't be able to file 2017 using the 2018 online version.

That is correct.  The online software is ONLY for preparation of a 2018 return.  It cannot be used for 2017.  
@dino2watchu2 Still waiting to hear whether your return was e-filed and accepted so we can advise you further on how to proceed.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I didn't file 2017 or 2018 I had w-2s for both.. in my mind I2017 go in  2018 ..w-2 2018 go to be filed in 2019. I'm screwed??

Oh I did e-file

I understand how it gets confusing regarding the different years. Your W2 income for 2017 should have been filed in the year of 2018 and 2018 should be filed in 2019.  Hopefully, your AGI will be rejected by the IRS.  This is one of those times you actually want a rejection!  Keep checking your e-file status using the link above. Here it is again:  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/">https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/ef... an eye for an e-mail from TurboTax regarding the (hopeful) rejection.  If it is accepted, you will have to wait it out and follow the directions below.  You have online support here 24/7 and you can contact a rep. off-season Mon-Fri 5 AM - 5 PM Pacific to assist you.  If you were indeed due a refund both years, don't stress as the IRS will not penalize you.  

Thank you for all the info

First ... step 1 ... breath ... there is nothing that cannot be corrected ... the world will not come to an end over this ... you are not the first to make this error and certainly will not be the last. 

Then  ... step 2 ... pray the 2018 return is rejected ....

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you just e-filed.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return. If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and make the necessary changes to your tax return and re-submit your return with the right year info. 

If the IRS accepts your return, then you have to wait until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return 1040X and mail it in. You cannot e-file an amended return.  Meanwhile, DO NOT change anything on your return until you start the amended return.

You can amend returns that have been accepted by the IRS. If your return is pending, you won't be able to make any changes until it's accepted or rejected by the IRS. If you don't know your e-file status, we can help you check it.

Select a tax year for specific amending instructions.

Keep in mind: You have 3 years from the date you filed your return (or 2 years after you paid the tax due, whichever is later) to file an amended return, which means you don't have to get it done by the April 15 filing deadline.

And then step 3 ... correctly file a 2017 return ... this can be done now.

How do I prepare a prior-year tax return?

1.    Select your TurboTax product for the year you'd like to file. (Unfortunately, TurboTax Online is only available for the current tax year.)

2.    Select your operating system.

3.    Purchase your TurboTax product.

4.    Download and install your TurboTax product.

5.    Complete your return in TurboTax. We'll guide you through the process.

6.    When finished, print and file a paper return through the mail. (Prior-year returns cannot be e-filed.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies