Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wokndadog
Returning Member

Joint Return - Self Employed and W2 Income PLUS LLC Disregarded Entity

For years, I have worked as a real estate professional receiving pay from my broker on a 1099-misc. 
My wife earns regular wages and receives a W-2 from her employer.  
We file jointly using "TT Home & Business".

Last year I formed an LLC,(for real estate acquisitions and rental properties) IRS indicates that for their purposes this is a "Disregarded Entity" (which I assume means the income is treated as personal income) and then purchased a property under the LLC in November 2022.  The property was made ready for rent, advertising began and I reported it to IRS as being used as such for the remaining weeks of 2022.   However, a few things changed after the new year and rather than continuing to market and putting a tenant into it, I sold it in July, for significantly more than the original purchase price  (before calculating allowable acquisition/liquidation expenses).   

As previously stated, I use TT Home & Business Edition which allows me to list multiple income streams, it ask me for the EIN number of each source of income paying me as a 1099-misc earner.   It has me to enter the EIN for the broker who paid me income, as well as that of anyone else who I received income from as a
1099-misc earner. 

Question # 1:  Am I to also enter my own EIN number in this section to report the income from the sale of my rental/real estate property?  

Although there was never any "rental income", because the property sold for more than the original purchase price, there was a "gain".  However, there were acquisition and liquidation expenses, taxes and other allowable deductions which I am allowed to use as offsetting factors when calculating any net gain/loss realized from the sale of the property.  

Question # 2:  Where will I enter/show those cost and expenses in order to calculate the gain or loss,  do I create a separate Schedule C for my LLC or is there another form/schedule where this is to be entered?  

Question # 3:  What online version of TT for 2023 tax year is comparable to the "Home & Business" version which gets installed as software on my PC?   It seems that the PC version does NOT communicate or import data from my "QuickBooks Self-Employed".  It's my understanding that only the online versions of TT are capable of importing from QB and I find that to be both irritating and absurd.  Absent having the ability for these two to communicate makes keeping TT and QB seems a bit pointless.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

For #3....The new Online version is Premium to replace Premier and the Self Employed version.  You can transfer your QuickBooks Self Employed version into Premium.    Then you can download the .tax2023 online file for free and open it in your Desktop program.  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-send-my-quickbooks-self-employed-... 

By the way,  all the Desktop programs have all the same forms so you can use a lower version like Deluxe if you want.  

Or there may be a way to import from QuickBooks to the Turbo Tax Desktop program.  But you first have to convert your QB Online to QB Desktop.  But I don't know if QB Online Self Employed version is the same as QuickBooks Online version.  

You can download the free trial version if you don't have a QBDT installed on your computer.
https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/help-article/new-subscriptions/download-trial-quic...

The data in QBO can then be moved or converted to QBDT. Please refer to this article:
https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/import-or-export-data-files/export-and-convert-you...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies