turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why does my TT Hawaii return keep telling me "Returns with Investment Interest from Form N-158 can not be filed electronically." I did NOT claim this interest.

For some reason, these statements are displayed just before I get ready to e-file:

"We Won't Be Able to E-file Your Return

Why? Well, it looks like you have a tax situation in the Hawaii return that makes it ineligible for e-filing.

Reason for e-file ineligibility:
Returns with Investment Interest from Form N-158 can not be filed electronically.

TurboTax does not support this information to be filed electronically.
The good news is you can still print your Hawaii return and file it by mail."

Moreover, TT does not facilitate insight into what TT is referencing.  There are no links or pop-ups, or reference points... just the statements above.

Please assist with any helpful ideas.

Thanx!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies
maglib
Level 11

Why does my TT Hawaii return keep telling me "Returns with Investment Interest from Form N-158 can not be filed electronically." I did NOT claim this interest.

This issue has been resolved in an update that was released on 03/30/2018.
From assistance with updating TurboTax please click here.

(You posted you were using the online version of TT and not desktop, the online version should be working correctly, you may need to sign out and sign back in).  Please comment if you were in fact online and I will let TT know. I don't work for them but, have access to moderators for assisting users.
**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

Hi maglib... I logged off and tried again, but the same thing happens.  Accordingly, from my perspective, as of today, March 31, 2019, this issue has NOT been resolved in the update that was released on 03/30/2018.
maglib
Level 11

so you are in fact in the online version and not a desktop copy (desktop has to be updated)? I will notify moderators and give them this link. Hopefully they can come up with the answer.  I am so sorry you are having this difficulty.
***Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question

Indeed... I use the online version
maglib
Level 11

I let the moderators know, hopefully someone will respond by tomorrow.  In the meantime did you try to delete the form? Possibly the update happened but the form was created and just needs to be removed?  I'm hoping it works.
You can delete the form by following these steps:

1. Sign into your account and select your current return

2. Select Tax Tools on the bottom left and then Tools

3. Select Delete a Form

4. Find that Form and any related possibly and select delete next to it

One cannot access ANY of the state forms in TT.  Interestingly, I do, in fact, claim Investment Interest on the Federal return, but not on the state return, but I cannot access the state return
GinaG
Intuit Alumni

@JCIII Watch for an email from us with further instructions.

Any idea when this issue will be corrected?  I e-filed my Federal returns, but need this problem to be resolved before e-filing my Hawaii returns.

Wrapping up my 2019 return, and I have the same issue as last year: returns with investment interest from form n158 can not be filed electronically.

Still no fix?

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Hawaii Form N-158 is not eligible for efiling. You can print your Hawaii return and file it by mail.

Hawaii Form N-158

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
bakersdozen
Returning Member

This issue is still preventing hawaii state efile, I have no interest expenses when filing n153. I do have interest earned from a money market savings account which have included in my federal but I don't think I include that in n153 so I'm not sure why it's still asking me to file n153. 

Hoping someone can help me with this same problem regarding the N-158. I am not claiming any investment interest expense and did not fill out an N-158 nor is it listed in my forms. In the section referring to investment interest expense, it is listed as 0. Please help. This is for tax year 2021.

maglib
Level 11

@bighairy You should completely delete the amount and remove the 0 and see if that helps. I'm sorry as i don't do Hawaii taxes I would also suggest deleting the form n-158 if that was the only thing on that form. Another suggestion that has seemed to work is file your federal taxes, wait for them to be accepted. Once they are, then try to file your state. I don't work for TT. Hope this does help you out.
adiego5
Returning Member

Were you able to get this fixed? I am having the same problem and TT did not inform me about this until I had to check since I have not received my state returns.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies