Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

J-1 Visa + H1B Visa in the same year. How to file for tax return?


I worked in New York from August 2015 to May 2016 under J-1 visa. In June I had to leave to my home country and wait until my H1B visa was approved. Once this happened I came back in November and worked the rest of the year under H1B Visa. 

How does this affect my filing for tax returns? Do I have to file in a different way? Can I do it with turbotax or do I need to do it in a more specific way due to my change of status from non-resident alien to resident alien?


1 Reply
Level 9

J-1 Visa + H1B Visa in the same year. How to file for tax return?

You were not a Resident Alien in 2016, so you can not use TurboTax, and I would recommend a tax professional the is experienced with Nonresident Aliens.

Because you were not in the US for 183 days on your non-J-1 visa, you are still a Nonresident Alien.

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies