turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

june6

When processing my Illinois state return, they made a change and are sending a letter explaining the change. Is there usually any further action on my side?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LisaBr

When processing my Illinois state return, they made a change and are sending a letter explaining the change. Is there usually any further action on my side?

No, you don't need to take any further action right now. 

Once you get the letter from the state, if there is something to do, the letter will let you know. 

Usually, it's just a matter of moving on to the next year.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
LisaBr

No, you don't need to take any further action right now. 

Once you get the letter from the state, if there is something to do, the letter will let you know. 

Usually, it's just a matter of moving on to the next year.

june6

Ok thanks.  "moving on to the next year"  as in they adjusted for next year's filing?
LisaBr

No, it's really starting off with a clean slate for next year.  I've done returns where people forgot to give me a form and the Fed/State sent us a letter saying it wasn't included and they were adjusted that year's return.
epwtech14

Hey so what was the change??

I got that same notification. What does it mean?
junehall6

Probably varies per person, but for me they made a change to my return and adjusted the refund amount.  Could mean they don't agree with a deduction you used or entry, amount etc.  If you disagree with the updated refund amount or change, you will have to provided a lot of supporting documents.

So if I agree, do I need to call or will they just send my adjustment?
junehall6

If you agree, do nothing.  Only respond or send in supporting documents if you disagree.  

How long did it take you before your refund was issued after getting that notice if that letter? I got the same message today.

It took 3 days to get the letter. I have to send in documents on self employment. If you agree with the letter it says 4-6 weeks.
shamekacleaves
Returning Member

is I’m still getting my Illinois refund of $817 they send me a letter to identify my state I had to put a code in I got my federal refund 2023

Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

No.  Generally, if you agree with the change they make, there is nothing more for you to do.  The letter will tell you everything you need to do if you do not agree with the change they make.  

Biggest thing is watch for the letter when you receive it, then if you have any questions, contact the number on the letter as they would be able to tell you exactly what needs done.  This would be similar to getting a letter from the IRS. 

Letter from the IRS.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JMP1977

Did they still direct deposit your refund or did it come with the letter?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies