turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I originally owed $470 to Fed and refund $222. state. My fed now says I owe $248. (-$222) How do I know what I need to pay Federal??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

I originally owed $470 to Fed and refund $222. state. My fed now says I owe $248. (-$222) How do I know what I need to pay Federal??

It sounds like you are referring to your "Net Refund" Summary Page in TurboTax  TurboTax shows you a "Combined Total" of your Federal and State Returns, but they are not actually combined when you file

Per the details in your question above, you will need to pay the IRS $470 and you will receive a refund from your State, of $222.  

The "Net Balance Due" shown on your Summary page is the combination of these two amounts: $470 Federal Balance due less your $222 State Refund = Net Balance Due of $222.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

It sounds like you are referring to your "Net Refund" Summary Page in TurboTax  TurboTax shows you a "Combined Total" of your Federal and State Returns, but they are not actually combined when you file

Per the details in your question above, you will need to pay the IRS $470 and you will receive a refund from your State, of $222.  

The "Net Balance Due" shown on your Summary page is the combination of these two amounts: $470 Federal Balance due less your $222 State Refund = Net Balance Due of $222.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies