turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jvlasick

It looks like someone is trying to get into my account please help

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

It is probably you.  Have you signed onto your TurboTax account from another device other than the one you have been using for the account?

To secure your account, log in to your Turbotax account by typing the address into your browser window, and make sure your browser shows a padlock icon or whatever symbol it uses to indicate a secure verified connection.  Change your password, and make sure it is not something you use on other web sites.  Change your security question to something that a crook could not guess from social media.  Make sure your email address and cell phone number are up to date as Turbotax may use that to help verify future attempts to log in.

You also have the option to turn on 2-factor authentication for all log-ins.  With 2-factor authentication, Turbotax will send a code to your email or cell phone when you try to log in. The idea is that only someone who knows your password and also has possession of your phone will be able to log in, this is more likely to be the real you.  Turbotax will use 2-factor authentication whenever you log in from a computer that turbotax does not recognize, but you can turn it on for all log-ins in your account settings.

TurboTax is committed to protecting your personal information. If we detect that certain types of your information are being used in more than one account, we’ll notify you to make sure that you recognize the activity.

We recommend using the same account each year so your information can be automatically transferred to your new return, saving you the time and hassle of data entry.

Here are some of the reasons you may have received this email:

• You have used TurboTax in the past and are using a different account this year. This can include moving from our Desktop product to our Online product.
  • You changed your filing status from last year, and for that reason, are filing with a different TurboTax account this year.
  • You have created multiple TurboTax accounts this year, or in prior years.
  • You file as Married Filing Separate, with you and your spouse having different TurboTax accounts.
  • You have filed for dependents, or another family member, in the past and the email is referring to their personal information.

If you have not taken any of the actions noted above, it may indicate that someone is trying to use your information to file a tax return. Please Contact Us and one of our agents can assist you.

Learn more about how TurboTax safeguards your data.

Related Information:

No I haven’t I know the person who is trying to get into my account how do I get action against them 

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

You should secure your TurboTax account by changing your password and verifying your phone number.      @Hsaylors16

How do I update my TurboTax account information? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies