Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gsamoun

W2 Box 16 for 2 states - what is the logic and how to report income correctly?

I live in NJ and work in NY, I receive a W2 for NJ and NY. 95% of the taxes taken from my paycheck were for NY - however, the NJ Box 16 shows my full salary and NY Box 16 shows slightly less - What income should i report in NJ vs NY? my opinion would be (NJ box 16) - (NY box 16)? where does this happen?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

W2 Box 16 for 2 states - what is the logic and how to report income correctly?

It depends.  Reporting and programming requirements for NJ/NY require both lines on the W-2, and this double-reporting gets combined in TurboTax (screenshot below will explain how to remove the double-reported income).  However, you do not alter the numbers.  You are going to pay tax in NJ on the NJ taxable income, which may very well be higher than the NY income, because NJ does not allow a deduction for a few items that are deductions in NY and on the Federal return (such as Cafeteria 125 salary reduction plans).  This website provides additional information:NJ Division of Taxation - NJ Income Tax Wages

As you recognize, both NY and NJ tax the income you earn in NY.  However, you will receive a credit on your NJ return for the tax that you pay to NY on the double-taxed income, the income taxed by both states.  But you do not pay tax on double-reported income, as this doubles-up the amount of salary you actually returned.  To remove the double-reported income, please note the following screenshot from the NJ resident return:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies