turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mybelle1

Is this correct? I understand I pay 15.3% for miscellaneous income, but the federal tax due is over $700 greater when I add in this income, as opposed to 15.3% ($321).

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Is this correct? I understand I pay 15.3% for miscellaneous income, but the federal tax due is over $700 greater when I add in this income, as opposed to 15.3% ($321).

The 15.3% is self-employment tax. That's the equivalent, for someone who is self-employed, of the Social Security and Medicare taxes that would be deducted from your pay if you were an employee. But self-employment tax is not income tax. You also pay regular income tax on your self-employment income. The total tax due is the income tax plus self-employment tax.

The 15.3% Self Employment tax is in addition to any regular income tax you owe on all your income.   Plus adding more income might reduce any credits you had like the EIC.  What other lines changed?

How to preview 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-f... 

Self-employment income is subject to self-employment tax (about 14.8% net because there is an offsetting deduction, its complicated) AND ALSO regular income tax, which might be 15%, 22%, or more, depending on your total income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies