Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is there any way to get old Turbo Tax updates? I was successful with 2010-2013 but 2014 has failed on Windows and Mac. I have original CD's for all software.

I have tried Win10, Win7, MacOS 12 and on all the TurboTax updater fails. Installation works. Win systems complain of a corrupted file but MacOS opens the file fine; just no updates or ability to view forms or print.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Is there any way to get old Turbo Tax updates? I was successful with 2010-2013 but 2014 has failed on Windows and Mac. I have original CD's for all software.

TurboTax does not support that far back.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Sorry but that is an extremely unhelpful response. I was able to successfully update older versions (2010,2011,2012,2013) without any issues. This does not inspire confidence in TurboTax if a problem is uncovered in my situation going back to 2010 regarding depreciation.

Is the position of TurboTax that in this situation the only recourse is to duplicate everything manually?

Why do you need the old programs?  You should be saving each year as both a pdf file and the .tax file.  Do you need to open old .tax files?

You could try the TaxPrinter service to convert a .tax file to pdf at
https://www.taxprinter.com

They are not connected to Turbo Tax.  

I do have both the .tax2014 and .pdf files on hand. The issue is that I have to update the forms and was expecting to copy my file 2014 return to a new copy so I can edit and update to see I need to file an amendment or if no changes were needed.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Unless the 2014 return has been specifically requested by the IRS there is no need to amend a return that is that old.  If you are dealing with tax issues that are more than seven years in the past you may want to consult a tax professional to see how they are effecting your current tax situation.

Your pdf copies of the returns should have any information necessary about past depreciation that you took.  Unfortunately I don't think any software company updates 10 year old programs.

@zzatihz1 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you, @RobertB4444. for your constructive reply.

After much research I have concluded that I need to seek out a competent tax professional to assist me in correcting the depreciation schedules for past returns. Unfortunately one incorrect depreciation schedule goes back to 2010 and another to 2016. Would you know if there Turbo Tax professionals that could help with this? I will be seeking out local help for the corrections.

BTW, I do not expect software companies to update 10 year old software. My issue with Intuit and/or TurboTax is I have determined that both the Mac and Windows of old software will successfully install and run on Win10, Win7 and macOS 12+. All the software still reaches out to Intuit servers for update forms and files. On the Mac, they successfully obtain their updates but forms cannot be opened and printing doesn't work. On Windows, updates are simply not available. Based on the error, the 2014 software is attempting to get updates from a 2012 folder. I was successful in reinstalling, updating and editing TurboTax for year 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013. It's interesting that Intuit still has updates for even older software.

In any case, I appreciate your reply. Thank you again.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies