turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rjmemoli

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Sub-contractor paid won't give social security number

What should I do if i paid a sub-contractor & they still won't give me their social security number?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

33 Replies
PennyJ

Ideally, the subcontractor’s Social Security number is obtained before any payments are made for work completed for you.  Form W-9 can be used for that purpose, although it is not required.

To maintain compliance with IRS guidelines, you must make a formal request to the subcontractor for his identification number before the end of the year.  If you do not have the Social Security number by the time to file Forms 1099-MISC, you should leave the identification number box empty, but still submit the report to the IRS.

The IRS will send a notice stating that the number is missing.  This notice must be sent along with a backup withholding notice and W-9 form to the subcontractor. This notifies the subcontractor that he will be subject to withholding until he submits his identification number.  He is also subject to a penalty of $50 for failure to furnish the Social Security number to you.

I hope this answers your question.  If you have additional questions or comments regarding this issue, please feel free to reply to this post for further clarification. Thanks for trusting TurboTax with your tax preparation.

Since TurboTax won't let us complete the form w/o the SS or EIN, how is your suggestion to be implemented?
vkottwitz

I have the same question. Turbo Tax will not allow me to file w/o the EIN or SSN.

You'll have to submit paper forms. You can either submit electronically without the EIN and send an amended return later or just send it all together as paper forms.
damian

Thanks @fawnzion225 (or community) but how do I submit paper forms? Where do I get them? I don't see anywhere on intuit that option. I have 3 contractors that ignored my requests for SSN/EIN but I need to issues/file these 1099 tomorrow!!! Thanks so much!!

You can get them at office supply stores in your area along with the envelopes to mail them in.

fawnzion225 Are you aware of some way to print without ssn or EIN? I'm not about to pay Staples $15 for 1 form.

Post offices used to have the forms and you could just go pick them up.  Try libraries so you can make copies.    You can print your 1099's with a, zeros in the EIN space it gives the IRS a red flag.  They then contact you to make it right you have to send them info on how you tried to get the numbers.  Then they go after the subcontractor , you have filed your forms on time and those late penalties wont be levied

slemaster38- Thank you! I thought I had already tried zeros, but apparently not.  I was able to print!

I submitted a 1099 misc with 000s because contractor had no itin number . Will this interfere with my tax return

Is there a penalty to the company issuing the 1099 for not having the number?

Is there a penalty to the issuer for not having the number?

You can order blanks for free thru the IRS.

You are posting on a 5 yr old thread
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies