yanko

Is Massachusetts PFML tax deductible on line 5a of Schedule A? It is reported in box 14 on W-2. Turbo Tax has not included it in line 5a. How can I make it do it?

This tax is withheld from my earnings along with Federal and State income taxes on my pay stub. As a mandatory local tax it qualified to be included inline 5a on schedule A but TurboTax has not.
BillM223

This Massachusetts webpage describes the PFML fee as a "tax", and furthermore that employees in Massachusetts cannot opt out of it, which makes it a Massachusetts tax.

When you entered this amount into Box 14, what Tax Category did you use? MA Paid Family Medical Leave? I would have though that that would have been enough to put it into line 5a on Schedule A.

Please let us know.

yanko

Yes, when editing the W-2, I did specify "Paid Massachusetts Medical Leave" (see screenshot), but when examining the final 1040 output, the amount on line 5a included only the total income tax.

[phone number removed]_1.jpg

Thanks for the response! This is exactly what I thought as well. So do I have to add this as an extra local tax in order to trick TurboTax into doing the right thing?

Yanko

AmyC

Your local tax paid could be entered as an additional line on the w2 or entered as additional local tax paid under other taxes.

I recommend: Go to federal > deductions and credits > estimates and other taxes paid > other income taxes > payments for 2018 or a prior year state or local income taxes paid in 2020. Then select locality (bottom selection is Not Listed) and enter the amount.