Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chaser

is Limited partner Line 1 income passive or nonpassive

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

For a limited partner, that amount is usually passive. The only way it can become nonpassive is if the limited partner materially participates in the partnership, which requires one or more elements.

See Treas. Reg. §1.469-5T

Be advised that when a limited partner materially participates in a partnership, that partner will lose the benefit of protection from personal liability for the debts of the partnership and claims against it.

chaser

And that is what I thought, but TT keeps putting line 1 income from one of our PTPs in column k of schedule E line 28. I think the answer is on page 4 of the instructions in column 3. There is an overall gain (positive income) from this partnership for 2018. I think TT is reporting it as nonpassive so losses from other partnerships will carry forward to 2019.

@chaser wrote:

And that is what I thought, but TT keeps putting line 1 income from one of our PTPs in column k of schedule E line 28. 

OK, it is a PTP (which was not indicated in the original post) so the rule for income is different (i.e., nonpassive) than the rule for other LPs.

See https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1065sk1#idm140366837414752

@chaser 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies