bartc30

Is it possible to pay LA state income tax myself directly (where I'm legal resident) if company is in TX? Or must it comp pay the tax?

I can't move to TX and they're not setup in LA. Company okay with me working remote but not in a state with income tax that they aren't already setup in.  Working thru contract company currently (as W-2). They are willing to convert but this is a sticking point for them.

If you live in LA, then you owe LA state income tax on all your world-wide income.  It sounds like you are saying that your TX-based employer does not want to go to the trouble of withholding LA income tax from your paycheck (which would also require sending various forms and funds to LA).

I can't say whether or not LA would object to the employer's refusal, but that is their problem.  You should be able to avoid penalties in LA by making estimated tax payments at least quarterly, as described here. https://revenue.louisiana.gov/IndividualIncomeTax#det

bartc30

Hadn’t thought about doing quarterly estimated taxes just for LA but that makes sense. I appreciate the lead to check into!

@bartc30 wrote:

If you have Louisiana income and don't have withholding, you are required to make estimated payments, or else you will be assessed a penalty, even if you pay in full when you file your tax return in April.