Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is it normal for California to change your Tax Return after submitting? I had to fax them my W2's and 1099's and they Revised the Balance. Refund of $307 to owe them $480

After months of not receiving my refund I reached out the the CA Tax Board and they said they couldn't verify my withholdings. I Faxed them my W2's and 1099's and this week I got a notice of Tax Return Change - Revised Balance. Instead of getting a refund of $307, I owe them $480.28. How did Turbotax get it so worng?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Is it normal for California to change your Tax Return after submitting? I had to fax them my W2's and 1099's and they Revised the Balance. Refund of $307 to owe them $480

most likely the California withholding entered didn't match the W-2's./1099's. if you imported w-2's/1099's it's your responsibility to see what's imported matches the numbers on the actual forms.  review the w/h on the actual forms vs what was entered.  perhaps the notice provides details on which one(s) were changed. since Turbotax receives no updates if a government agency changes a return, if you have questions you'll have to contact the FTB again. 

Absolutely, you need to always check the exact entries for your withholding for any forms you entered to make sure they are exactly correct.  Sometimes people invert two numbers, or double-hit a key, and TTX only uses what you entered or imported (and occasionally, even some imports are mis-formatted at the issuer end), and can't know if you entered some numbers wrongly.

One thing to note, is that if you received and entered any 1099-R forms, some suppliers issued 1099-R forms for 2020 with the boxes mis-numbered (using old 2019 formatting instead of proper IRS approved 2020 numbering). So it is critical that you make sure you put the withholding $$ in the proper 2020 boxes in the software forms, down in the state section of the software forms.

____

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies