turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anna2

My nephew was born in America but he lives in Nigeria. I usually send money to his mother for his upkeep. Can I claim my nephew as a qualifying child or relative

"My nephew was born in America but he lives in Nigeria. I usually send money to his mother for his upkeep. Can I claim my nephew as a qualifying child or relative"
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

My nephew was born in America but he lives in Nigeria. I usually send money to his mother for his upkeep. Can I claim my nephew as a qualifying child or relative

If he is a US Citizen he may be a qualifying relative, but cannot be a qualifying child (because he did not live with you.)

To claim someone as a dependent as a qualifying relative they must meet the following criteria:

• they must be a citizen of the US or a resident of the US, Canada or Mexico:
  • you must provide more than 1/2 of the individuals support,
  • they must not earn more than $4,050 in 2016 in gross income subject to tax (social security doesn't count)
  • they are not a qualifying child of another taxpayer, and
  • they must not file a joint return with another
  • If not a close relative or if they are unrelated to you, they must live with you all 12 months of the year.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

Is he a US citizen?
Anna2

Yes he is
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

If he is a US Citizen he may be a qualifying relative, but cannot be a qualifying child (because he did not live with you.)

To claim someone as a dependent as a qualifying relative they must meet the following criteria:

• they must be a citizen of the US or a resident of the US, Canada or Mexico:
  • you must provide more than 1/2 of the individuals support,
  • they must not earn more than $4,050 in 2016 in gross income subject to tax (social security doesn't count)
  • they are not a qualifying child of another taxpayer, and
  • they must not file a joint return with another
  • If not a close relative or if they are unrelated to you, they must live with you all 12 months of the year.

Anna2

Thank you for your help. This helps
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies