Is claiming a dependent who does not have insurance worth it? What is the penalty how does this work? For 2015 taxes

My mom lives with me she has no income and no insurance if I claim her how would it look?
HollyP

You would be responsible for the penalty for your dependent if she did not qualify for an exemption (waiver.) The fee for not having health insurance is $325 per person or 2% of your household income – whichever is higher. The fee applies to people who can afford health insurance but choose not to buy it, or who do not qualify for an exemption.

Please see the FAQ below for more info. https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4264728

ramimahdi

if no waiver applies, is it better to drop the dependent ? ... in my case I am talking about my father as a dependent

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing