Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is a Medicare overpayment refunded separately from a tax refund or are they refunded together?

How to inquire on status of Medicare refund ?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Is a Medicare overpayment refunded separately from a tax refund or are they refunded together?

If the refund you actually received, was less than your form 1040, line 35a by the amount of your SS overpayment  (line 11 on the Schedule 3).

THEN..

IT is possible that the IRS is withholding that amount until their computers get, and reconcile both employer's box 4 values from the forms that they have to submit to the IRS separately.   

IF the IRS has done this, then they will send you a letter detailing what they've done, and explaining any steps they want you to do.  They may ask you to send them paper copies of your W-2 forms to prove the withholding excess....or they may just tell you to wait until their computers reconcile what you filed vs what the employers send in....or perhaps something else.   The letter would arrive for you to review in 2-4 weeks.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

19 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

What exactly do you mean by a Medicare overpayment? Do you mean an overpayment of Medicare premiums or an overpayment of Medicare tax? How did it happen that you overpaid?

If an employer withheld too much Medicare tax, you have to get the excess back from the employer. You cannot get credit for it on your tax return. Box 6 on your W-2 should be 1.45% of box 5, plus an additional 0.9% of any amount in excess of $200,000.

The overpayment of taxes was due to multiple employers withholdings. 
The amount was reported on my 1040 line 11. I have received my tax refund but not the amount of the overpayment .

TurboTax comments said I would receive the overpayment with the tax refund. 
how do I find out the status of the Medicare tax overpayment?

@olguerragurto wrote:

The overpayment of taxes was due to multiple employers withholdings. 
The amount was reported on my 1040 line 11. I have received my tax refund but not the amount of the overpayment .

TurboTax comments said I would receive the overpayment with the tax refund. 
how do I find out the status of the Medicare tax overpayment?

There is no limit on the total amount of Medicare taxes paid when you have multiple employers.  If no one employer withheld more than 1.45% of your Medicare wages then there is nothing to refund.

If you are referring to Social Security taxes withheld there is a limit on the total amount of Social Security taxes withheld when you have two or more employers.  If the total SS taxes withheld from two or more employer is greater than $8,853.60 then the excess SS taxes withheld is entered on the federal tax return as a tax payment.

How do I find out refund status of excess SS taxes paid to multiple employers and reported on line 11 of 1040. I received the federal tax refund but not the ss overpayment 

@olguerragurto wrote:

How do I find out refund status of excess SS taxes paid to multiple employers and reported on line 11 of 1040. I received the federal tax refund but not the ss overpayment 

Form 1040 Line 11 is the Adjusted Gross Income and does include the SS taxes overpayment.

The SS overpayment is reported on Schedule 3 Line 11.  The total from Schedule 3 Part II Line 15 flows to the federal tax return Form 1040 Line 31.  Line 31 is included in your Total Tax Payments on Line 33.

If the Total Tax Payments on Line 33 is greater than the Total Taxes on Line 24 then the overpayment will be your tax refund as reported on Line 34.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@olguerragurto wrote:

@olguerragurto 

You don't get a separate refund for the excess Social Security tax withheld. It's included in your overall federal tax refund.

I only received my federal tax refund. The SS overpayment was not included . How can I get the SS overpayment refunded now? I used TurboTax to file my return 

@olguerragurto wrote:

I only received my federal tax refund. The SS overpayment was not included . How can I get the SS overpayment refunded now? I used TurboTax to file my return 

The SS overpayment is included in your federal tax refund.  

How it is included in the federal tax refund has already been described.  Look at your tax return.

If you used the TurboTax online editions -

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state. 

This will take you back to the 2021 online tax return.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen.  Then click on Print Center.  Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return.  Choose the option Include government and TurboTax worksheets

I already received my tax refund which didn’t include the SS overpayment. I need to know how to inquire about the status of the SS overpayment 

@olguerragurto wrote:

I already received my tax refund which didn’t include the SS overpayment. I need to know how to inquire about the status of the SS overpayment 

What is shown on Schedule 3 Line 11?

@olguerragurto  You are not understanding the prior answers.  The excess should be on your tax return on line 31 and already included in your refund.  Do you have an amount on 1040 line 31?  Or are you saying the IRS reduced your refund and sent you less?

I don’t appreciate you assuming I didn’t understand the answers

yes the amount of the SS overpayment was included on my TurboTax return on line 31 . I was told that the overpayment would be included with my federal tax refund but it was not . I need to know how to get the refund for the multi employers SS overpayment 

@olguerragurto 

As I answered in my prior post the amount of the SS excess is included with and part of your federal tax refund.

Line 31 is included in your Total Tax Payments on Line 33.

If the Total Tax Payments on Line 33 is greater than the Total Taxes on Line 24 then the overpayment will be your tax refund as reported on Line 34.

I don't know how to answer this in any other way as it is how the amount of your federal tax refund is calculated.

As stated on the Form 1040 Line 32 - Add lines 27a and 28 through 31. These are your total other payments and refundable credits 

As stated on the Form 1040 Line 33 - Add lines 25d, 26, and 32. These are your total payments

As stated on the Form 1040 Line 34 - If line 33 is more than line 24, subtract line 24 from line 33. This is the amount you overpaid 

If the refund you actually received, was less than your form 1040, line 35a by the amount of your SS overpayment  (line 11 on the Schedule 3).

THEN..

IT is possible that the IRS is withholding that amount until their computers get, and reconcile both employer's box 4 values from the forms that they have to submit to the IRS separately.   

IF the IRS has done this, then they will send you a letter detailing what they've done, and explaining any steps they want you to do.  They may ask you to send them paper copies of your W-2 forms to prove the withholding excess....or they may just tell you to wait until their computers reconcile what you filed vs what the employers send in....or perhaps something else.   The letter would arrive for you to review in 2-4 weeks.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies