noors786

IRS sent refunds amount on 1040 instead of 1040X.

Hello,

I finished my 1040 on Turbotax premier for 2018 and did not file.  Instead I had filed for an extension. As there were several changes to my figures.

Upon my return to Turbotax in October, the software won't allow my to change the information on the original 1040.  Instead it kept pushing me to amend and file 1040X.

Therefore I filed my taxes on 1040X for 2018.

IRS sent me a refund of the original 1040 amount, that is significantly higher than the 1040X refund.

What are my options?

Thanks,

Sidd Siddiqui

Did you ever MAIL in the amended return ?   If not it was never filed.   And if you got the original refund then the original return must have been filed even if you think it was not.    If this is the case your only option now is to mail in the amended return now and send back the excess refund amount.

Look at the form 1040X …

Column A should have the figures from the original return, Column C the corrected figures and Column B the differences between the other 2 which needs an explanation on page 2 of the form 1040X.

If you completed it correctly you will see an entry on either line 16 OR 18:

On line 16 should be the amount you paid with your original return. 

On line 18 should be the amount of your original refund you received.

Then you will see your extra refund on line 22 OR  the new balance due you need to pay on line 20.

noors786

I will review.

Thank you