Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS letter regarding IDENTITY THEFT

I received a letter from the IRS yesterday asking if I had filed my return for 2021. They are indicating potential IDENTITY THEFT involving my SOCIAL SECURITY # & other personal info. They also indicated that because of this I will not be able to file using ELECTRONIC filing but rather that I will have to file old-school PAPER filing method. I have used DELUXE TURBO TAX for many years & this will present a major disruption to the normal electronic filing process using Turbo Tax. 

I will be calling the IRS later today, April 5th, to learn more. Does the community have any helpful recommendations ? Why am I being denied the use of electronic filing when I did nothing wrong. I have no idea how anyone would have access to my Social Security number. What a headache since coincidentally I plan to file prior to April 18, 2022. I'm later than ever due to family medical issues that have taken precedent. I would greatly appreciate a quick response given the ever tightening timeframe.

Thank you,

Stephen M. (longtime Turbo Tax user/customer) !

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

First, verify that the letter is actually from the IRS.  (You may have a hard time getting through to them at this time of the year.)  If it is, you will have to file by mail while they sort this out.  Then check your credit reports, bank accounts, etc. for possible Identity Theft.

If someone (anyone) used your SSN already, you cannot e-File.

That's just how it works.

You can try, but it will be REJECTED.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies