Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Irs keeps rejecting my file saying my birthday is wrong. it is right!!!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

68 Replies
rueda3908

how to fix

You will have to print and mail your return.  Then check your records with Social Security.  
ToddL

I am sure you know your birthday, but that does not mean the IRS database has it entered correctly.

The IRS gets your personal information from the Social Security Administration.

You can check what the SSA has on file by creating (or signing in) a My Social Security account at: https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/

Select the My Profile tab from the Home page to see what birthdate they have on file. Also, check the spelling of your name, since that could also create a "matching" problem.

If it is not correct, you'll have to file by mail.
If you want to correct or update your name or date of birth on your Social Security record, you must apply for a corrected Social Security card.  Go to Get Or Replace A Social Security Card and follow the instructions.

If it is correct, you'll still have to file by mail and contact the IRS to see why you are having a problem. It could be an issue with how they have the spelling of your name in their records. You can correct the spelling when you file or by calling us toll-free at 800-829-1040.

I had the exact same problem. The turbotax page had gotten corrupted or something...I reloaded the entire browser tab (reloaded the page in other words) and went through the file process again and it went through fine.

Oh yes I'm trying it one more time myself. Then I gotta do it the mail way. 

My birthday is [personal information removed]

Not the best idea to post that here buddy

Good luck buddy. I know they say just log on and figure out if its right with the SSA. Well you can't make an account on SSA if you don't know what info they have for you. Like you can't get registered using your correct(incorrect) DOB. Been fighting the SSA for 5 years now trying to prove I am me. No progress as of yet. 

Just let it fail to submit, then print and file, much cheaper in the long run. 

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

If you cannot e-file because the IRS does not recognize your birthday as being correct and you provided your correct birthday will have to file a paper return by mail.  You should verify your records with the social security administration SSA to verify they have your date of birth correct.  If you do not have an online account call the SSA for assistance in resolving your issue with your birthdate.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
buffh24

How can I see if my birthday date is wrong with IRS

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

@buffh24

The IRS relies on the information for your birth date from the Social Security Administration which is provided directly from their data base. You should verify your records with the Social Security Administration (SSA) to verify they have your date of birth correct.  If you do not have an online account call the SSA for assistance at 1-800-772-1213 to verify that their records are correct. If SSA records are incorrect and have to be updated, it can take up to four weeks to transfer the updated information to the IRS.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You need your birthdate to register to look at your birthdate. Am I missing something here?

You are not wrong.
If you're birthday is transposed you will never be able to get a SSA account to find out what it should be. I have been fighting to get mine fixed for over 4 years now. I did a whole new citizenship form at the SSA "to renter it all correctly" and ended up losing my citizenship and almost got deported getting a drivers license. This was right during the early political travel ban, and I got scooped up by ICE at the DMV after trying to fix this. Try explaining a date transposition error to ICE for 7 hours, when they think all your docs are falsified.
I just file by mail now.

IRS said my birthdate is wrong,it is not. What makes me even more upset is I was at a SS office less than a year or 2cago to get a new card issued and the correct date was provide then as well!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies