turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Irs claims they never received extension request I sent in April 9th. I was stupid and misplaced the receipt from USPS so I have no proof either. Can I do anything?

My wife and daughter didn't have ss at the time of filing so had to file for an extension. They adjusted my return by a lot because they claim they never received the extension request. I remember going to the USPS post office and making sure I did priority delivery too.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Irs claims they never received extension request I sent in April 9th. I was stupid and misplaced the receipt from USPS so I have no proof either. Can I do anything?

Well this may be a battle you will not be able to win ...  you should have NOT filed the return before you got the SS#.  If you put the return on extension you had 6 months to file the return so why did you file it early ?   If you did not electronically file the extension then you may never change the IRS's position on when the SS# was issued.  

As I recall from an IRS forum I attended that once you file the return it  "closes" the extension on that tax year so you probably should have waited to file the return ... now you may need to amend the return to put back everything the IRS disallowed and send enough proof that your argument is sound.  Of course this will take 6 months to a year (maybe longer) to play out ... good luck.  

View solution in original post

6 Replies

@physicsogc - what is the issue date of the social security numbers? if after April 17, then yes that is a problem. 

ideas:

1) hopefully you paid with a credit card.  Call your bank's credit card department ask and ask them for the EXACT time the credit card was used that day at the post office - they will know.  Then, go to that same post office and see if they can pull up the receipt of the transaction, given you know the exact time and date the transaction occured.  The tracking number is on the receipt.  This is a 'long shot' as there are multiple websites that I googled stating the post office doesn't maintain the tracking numbers.

2) is it possible that the paperwork just crossed?  meaning you efiled your tax return very shortly after the extension request was mailed in and the IRS hadn't processed the extension request yet? I wonder if the receipt of the extension request is on your transcript somewhere (and that occured after your return was processed?)  have you checked your transcript on IRS.gov for an indication that there is an extension on file?  if yes, then it's just a matter of contacting the IRS to have them review your tax return again given the dates on the social security cards are prior to the extention date deadline. 

maybe others have other ideas....but I would start with the two above. 

Well this may be a battle you will not be able to win ...  you should have NOT filed the return before you got the SS#.  If you put the return on extension you had 6 months to file the return so why did you file it early ?   If you did not electronically file the extension then you may never change the IRS's position on when the SS# was issued.  

As I recall from an IRS forum I attended that once you file the return it  "closes" the extension on that tax year so you probably should have waited to file the return ... now you may need to amend the return to put back everything the IRS disallowed and send enough proof that your argument is sound.  Of course this will take 6 months to a year (maybe longer) to play out ... good luck.  

@Critter-3 

<< when the SS# was issued.  >>

the issue date is printed on the social securty card so proving that date is easy.

is the extension reflected on the transcript?

if so, then it becomes easy to compare the two dates to prove that the social security cards were issued prior to the extension date of Oct 15, 2022

@physicsogc 

You guys are awesome! Thanks for all of your advices. I have the exact time and date I paid for it. As somebody else mentioned however I sent in extension then immediately told my tax prep person to e-file. I think I see the issue there. Though I feel like my tax prep person should have known this. Ah well thanks again!

"They adjusted my return by a lot "

Any adjustments have nothing to do with your extension request being successful or unsuccessful.

@physicsogc 

If your request did not go through, you may get a late filing penalty.

@fanfare - yes, it does make a difference.   To be eligible for the Child Tax Credit or the Recovery Rebate Credit, there must be a valid social security number issued prior to the due date of the return (April 17, 2022) or prior to October 15, 2022, if there was an extension request submitted. 

So if the tax return was submitted after April 17 with new social security numbers also issued after April 17 and no extension request, these tax benefits would be adjusted and denied. 

@physicsogc - let's be sure we all understand

1) please confirm in fact that the preparer used the new social security numbers on the return and that the social security numbers were issued after April 17 (look at the front of the cards for the date).   Then it would make sense that the adjustments are as I stated above (probably lost $2800 for the Recovery Rebate Credit and either $3000 or $3600, depending on your child's age, due to the Child Tax Credit ineligibiltiy)

2) did the preparer use the ITIN numbers for the tax return.  If so, then the problem is a whole different matter. The Child Tax Credit and the Recovery Rebate credit would not be on the tax return to begin with as the software should have been smart enough not to post it because an ITIN was used and not a SSN.

3) what is on Line 28 and Line 30 for Form 1040?  

4) what is the EXACT amount of the adjustment? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies