Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRA Withdrawal Mistake in 2021 because of Excess Contribution in 2020

My situation is a little complicated... So when I was filing 2020 tax, I just learned that I had 6k in Roth and 6k in IRA. Without researching on the procedure, I simply withdrew 6k directly from IRA. Then on the 2020 tax filing, I reported 6k for Roth and 0 for IRA . I thought it was alright since I was just taking after-tax cash deposit out to an after-tax account within a month. Now for the 2021 filing, I got a 1099-R saying that I had an early distribution of 6k from IRA. I already have 5k currently in Roth. I am under 59 1/2 years old.

So in clear summary, this is the situation now:

2020 - Roth: 6k, IRA: 6k

2021 - Roth: 5k, IRA: 1k

2022 - Roth: 2k, IRA: 0

>> withdraw 6k from IRA in 2021directly without specifying from year 2020

My questions are:

1. What is the best way to file this with the least penalty?

2. Do I have to amend 2020?

3. Would the rollover be an option for me? 

4. I actually called the bank to take out 1k from Roth for 2021 for excess contribution...but I saw that my 5498 form is still showing 6k the original contribution. Is that a mistake? 

Many thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

@dmertz ?

I am going to provide what happened next myself in case someone else is in the same situation as mine. So I reached out my IRA bank, and they suggested me to file a request to recode the 1099-R. I ended up filing two, one for 2020 and one for 2021. And I ended up getting an approval and I got two 1099-Rs back.

1099-R #1:

box 1 = 5600

box 2a = 0

box 7 = "8" (Excess contributions plus earnings/excess deferrals (and/or earnings) taxable in 2021), "1" (Early distribution with no known exception)

1099-R #2:

box 1 = 200

box 2a = 200

box 7 = "1"

So the amount here reflects my contribution + earnings in each calender year instead of tax year. Both 1099-Rs are dated 2021. So since I lost money I didn't owe any tax in capital gain. 

So my questions are:

1. Do I need to amend 2020? Since I put $0 for contribution to IRA thinking I would just withdraw the excess afterwards.

2. If I need to amend 2020 tax return, how do I file so that turbo tax doesn't see my contribution to Roth as the excess? 

2. Do I file both 1099-R for tax year 2021? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies