turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IPPIN help

My federal and state taxes has been rejected. When I try to fix my return it says I need my Identity protection personal identification number. It says the number is on a letter that was sent but I've never received any kind of letter. With this crazy virus stuff happening it's nearly impossible to get through to the IRS on the phone. Can anyone tell me how too get this ippin number ?? Please and thanks so much 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
freddyyss

IPPIN help

My federal and state taxes has been rejected. When I try to fix my return it says I need my Identity protection personal identification number. It says the number is on a letter that was sent but I've never received any kind of letter. With this crazy virus stuff happening it's nearly impossible to get through to the IRS on the phone. Can anyone tell me how too get this ip pin number ?? Please and thanks so much 

IPPIN help

If you are a victim of ID theft reported to the IRS and the IRS has assigned a 6-digit IP PIN (Identity Protection PIN), they often send the letters with the IP PIN in late December/January.  But many people don't get the letters and have to use the IP PIN Retrieval tool at the IRS website.   If required to have the IP PIN,  you cannot efile without it.

If you are required to have the 6-digit IP PIN, you may be able to use the IP PIN Retrieval Tool at the IRS website below:

.https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/retrieve-your-ip-pin

Also, about halfway down on that page, you'll see a special phone number for the IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit.   If they can identify you on the phone, they can postal mail an IP PIN within 21 days.  Or you can phone the number if you have any questions.   However, with the Coronavirus situation, I don't know it that office is even open.   The regular IRS call centers are closed, but since that's a smaller specialized unit, it's possible it might still be open.  It can't hurt to try if you need to speak to someone in that department.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies