turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Injured spouse and stimulus payment

@HEREWEGOAGAIN21 wrote:

Did anybody else only get half of the second stimulus? Everywhere I read says the second stimulus payment was not subject to garnishment or back child support?

Your second payment will not be offset for any Federal or state debts and is protected from garnishment.

If you do not receive any other stimulus payments by January 15, 2021, then the stimulus payment for which you are eligible to receive will be entered on your 2020 federal tax return as a tax credit on Form 1040 Line 30.

The TurboTax program will ask about stimulus payments in the Federal Review section of the program.

Yeah they only sent half of my money again. So tired of these simple errors. We have bills!! And are in need out here. It’s so sad they can’t get it right. 

That's cute...except for the fact that if we have to claim it on our 2020 taxes, our 2020 injured spouse form will cause the refund to be delayed (the 14 weeks we have to wait from filing) when the IRS finally processes the injured spouse forms. So if we do not get the stimulus ( or in this case part of it ) because of an IRS oof...we have another half a year we have to wait.

< end rant >

I’m sick of them!!

We got our last Monday for the full amount-900$ Deposited to me and $900 for my husband. That’s all of ours and our child’s. 

@mtmberry03 what? $900 for three people? Please be more clear and specific.

That is exactly what I'm saying SMDH

The stimulus check is an advance on a credit you can receive on your 2020 tax return.  If something went wrong or you did not get the stimulus check in 2020, you can get it when you file your 2020 return in early 2021—if you are eligible.It will end up on line 30 of your 2020 Form 1040.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payment-information-center-topic-j-reconciling-on-your-...

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/coronavirus-tax-relief-and-economic-impact-payments-for-individuals-...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-will-the-stimulus-package-impact-me/00/1393859

good post with screen shots for recovery rebate credit

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/filed-as-an-independent-and-single-but-haven-t-re...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Hi there, 

I was initially upset and made because I felt this was happening all over again, but then I decided to put my husband's information in the Get My Payment tool and his part was mailed out on January 6th it said so we are patiently waiting to see if the other half comes in the mail.

I hope this helps.

same here. One says mailed on January 6th the other says can't locate( hopefully this was the $900 that Turbo tax just deposited and there is a check in the mail for the other half)...My eye is twitching still on the thought of having to claim this on the filing coming up and then waiting another 14 weeks for injured spouse to process. I assume just to Charlie Brown the football on the injured spouse form they will then split the stimulus a second time sending half of the half to be offset.lols

deadwing23
Returning Member

Denver Child support intercepted my entire stimulus check on 5/4/20.  I had been in communication with them the entire summer and assured me that no funds would not be released to the custodial parent until the IRS had resolved the injured spouse claims.  On August 25,2020 the IRS announced the injured spouse form was no longer required and would catch up on roughly 50,000 of those spouses affected and begin sending out checks that were previously diverted.  At this point, I waited.  I happened to call CS last week and the supervisor said Accounting had released my entire check including wife and dependent to the custodial parent.  They told me to contact the IRS so basically they are passing the buck which is no surprise as Colorado is the absolute worst.  I have a call into the Director of Child Support to get to the bottom of this fiasco once and for all.  

Hi there. We filed injured spouse form as we have the last 5 years. 1st round all was taken, CS in MO held as we were part of the first round glitch. They released half as the IRS told them to finally in July to his ex.  We got our half in September. 2nd round half went on our turbo tax debit card and the other half went to our bank. I received an email on the half to my turbo tax debit card, in my spam. Had I not checked it I would have never known half was loaded on it. 

So get this! I did exactly this, filed my 8379 with my 2020 taxes, claimed the Recovery Rebate Credit. Filed my return with all this back in May. Status just keeps saying still being processed. Today I get a letter in the mail from the IRS saying I made a mistake on my tax return and they "fixed it" ... apparently I don't get to claimed the Recovery Rebate Credit?? WHY?! I am so pissed right now. Not only that, my return has STILL not been actually processed. Such a rip off! 

I received this same notice in April 2021. When filing my taxes Jan 29th, I entered all numbers and data correct. For the stimulus question, I answered the exact amount I received (which was 1/2 of what I should have received due to child support). In February, I received the second 1/2 of what was owed to me in 2020. I made the assumption that this amount distributed to me in 2021 would go on my 2021 tax form since that is the year I received it. As I said, I received the letter stating I made a mistake and they reduced my amount from my tax return exactly that amount. It stated I would get the remainder of my return in 5 weeks. It is now August and I still have no refund...still says “in process” and still no person to talk to. And along with the wait also comes no monthly child tax credit. I have a feeling next year will go the same way. Praying every day for it to come through!!

@Scaldy You made a mistake when you did not say you received the 2nd stimulus payment---even though you received it in 2021 you needed to say on your 2020 return that you had received it.   The way you answered the question caused an amount to go on line 30 of your Form 1040.   The IRS is cross checking every return with an amount on line 30 since so many people made mistakes.   They will see that you received the payment and they will recalculate your refund accordingly.  You do not need to amend.   But it is causing a delay because the return has to be looked at by a human.   Sorry---this is what is delaying your refund and it is what is preventing you from getting the monthly child tax credit payments.    Until the IRS sorts it out, all you can do is wait.   

If you do not get the CTC monthly payments you can get the credit on your 2021 tax return if you are eligible.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies