Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Income Summary page fails to show the 1099-NEC that I entered.

I entered my 1099-NECs for 2021 but when I click "Done" and the screen returns to the Income Summary page, it shows $0 for that line.  When I click on "Update", the 1099-NECs are all there.  It appears that this bug also existed in 2020 from a search on this community's postings.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

If you have the Self-Employment software you will find the 1099-NEC posted in the Self-Employment section of your Summary page.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks but it doesn't quite answer my question.  There appears to be a bug in the TurboTax 2021 software. I'm using the Deluxe version and I did not need any Self Employment Software in previous years.

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

If you are using the Online version you must use Self-employed to enter your 1099-NEC. Deluxe product features.

Last year's 1099-NEC situation was regarding another issue.

The key to determining if you’re self-employed is to assess whether you're in business for yourself or are the owner of your own business.

This includes any part-time businesses or private “side jobs” where you’re performing services in addition to a regular job or business.

You are also self-employed if you’re an individual who:

• is the sole proprietor of an unincorporated business
  • works as an independent contractor, consultant or freelancer
  • is a member of a business partnership
  • owns or is part of a limited liability company (LLC)
  • earns income through investments
  • earns income through rental property

When you’re self-employed, you’ll receive a 1099-NEC, 1099-MISC or a 1099-K from the person or business that paid you.

But even if you don’t receive a 1099-NEC, 1099-MISC or a 1099-K, you’re still responsible for reporting all your income and expenses from self-employment on your tax return.

Thank you, but I'm not using the online version.  I have been using TT Deluxe PC (Win) version for years and this is the first time I'm encountering this issue.  It is clearly a bug in the roll-up to the Income Summary page.  When I got to Forms and get to Schedule C, the incomes I had entered as 1099-NECs is there.

BTW, the 1099-NECs for the prior year shows up under 1099-MISC although they were correctly reported as 1099-NECs.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

I'm not sure about the income summary page, but your self-employment income would appear on line 3 of schedule 1 and then on line 8 of your form 1040. As long as those amounts are correct, your return will adequately reflect your self-employment income.

I'm not sure what year you are referring to, but self-employment income used to be reported on a form 1099-MISC, up until a couple of years ago. It can still be reported that way, although not common. If so, it would be reported on line 1(c) on schedule C. That may be why you see form 1099-MISC associated with self-employment income in TurboTax.

Also, you may need to be current on your TurboTax updates. You can do this by using the Online menu tab and then Check for Updates.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I posted this update on another thread and thought I should do likewise here.  This relates to TurboTax Deluxe 2021 Windows version, not the online version which some readers of my original post were referencing with their suggested solutions.

UPDATE:

It appears that on the 2021 Income Summary page, the 1099-NECs are rolled up into the line "Business Income and Expenses (Sch C)" under the section titled "Business Items".  When I click on the "Update" button next to that line, I see the aggregate (gross amount) of my 1099-NECs incomes and the net after business expenses.  To see the individual 1099-NECs, you still have to go back to the line "Income from Form 1099-NEC" and click on the "Update" button next to that line.

It is not very intuitive but I can see the logic.

flatfive

This is a ridiculous non-answer from the "expert." As an expert, how about trying to replicate the error instead of repeatedly giving an irrelevant answer? I'm in a desktop version of 2021 Home & Business and experience the same thing. When I enter 1099-NECs they show up on the summary tab next to 1099-MISC, and the line for 1099-NEC shows $0. Clicking update next to the 1099-NEC opens the 1099-NEC entries correctly, so this is an issue with data mapping to the right place on the summary tab.

That's fine if it's correct in the actual forms, but you need to acknowledge the bug so that everyone can be confident you know what they are talking about.

gbh222

I'm seeing the same issue in 2022 TT Home & Business (downloaded). The person who said the amount shows up on the 1099-MISC line might actually be seeing the amount displayed for the previous year, which I at first thought was the value from this year's 1099-NEC. 

The value from the 1099-NEC isn't showing on the Income Summary screen. I haven't checked whether it's flowing to the correct forms.

Ron90210

This is the same error that I experienced. This is what I have discovered:

When I open TT2021 my 1099-NEC summary lists all the 1099-NECs correctly.

However when I exit that summary and go to "Income from Form 1099-NEC" line on the Your 2021 Income Summary page the amount shows $0 (which is incorrect).

When I open TT2022 and look at the Your 2022 Income Summary page the amount shown for 2021 (past year) is correct. So that means the software is just not showing the correct number, although internally it knows the correct number for tax calculations.

When the OP said this was a bug he/she was correct and this bug has amazingly carried on throughout the years.

Ron

Couldn’t agree more! It’s just plain wrong and makes me nervous to not see numbers in the summary where I have put them! 

I am now doing TurboTax 2023 and the same darn thing is happening! Why won’t they put the amount in the line I’m filling in!

DWood535

Yeah, this issue (or a new variant of it) is still present in the 2023 "Premiere" version (desktop) of TurboTax.

I've entered a 1099-MISC entry ...looks fine when entering, close it out ... and the "Income Summary" page still say "$0, please update".  Tried editing ...it's all there ... close it out ... still zero.  Tried deleting and re-entering ... still OK in the inner workings, but Income Summary is now "Here's most of your income but we left out a few things to keep you guessing".
In other threads, the advice is to check the actual forms ... if your entries are correct there you can proceed.
Still an absolute bull**bleep** issue, though.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies