turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rmalanga

Is it possible to turn off rounding?

Rounding is going to cost me $8 this year. Is it possible to turn if off?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

No.  You can try rounding the amounts yourself first when you enter them.

View solution in original post

18 Replies

No.  You can try rounding the amounts yourself first when you enter them.
NM1
Level 4

In my case, I have a number ending in .50 which is rounded up. Then I have to enter the two numbers on the form that add up to this. They end in .01 and .49, so they are rounded down. Then TT tries to check the total of the two smaller numbers, which of course doesn't match the rounded total, so it complains. This is a bug. It should check the balance of the numbers I entered, not what it has created by rounding.

I have this same problem but mine is two numbers being rounded up then added and compared to a 3rd number which was rounded down and now TT complains that my numbers don't match. :( So I guess I have to enter a wrong number in one of the cells in order for TT to accept it and let me proceed - how stupid is that??? Very difficult for an EXTREMELY **bleep** and detail oriented person to accept.

Whether you round the numbers yourself or let TT do it you end up with the same problem. To get past the calculation/cross check you basically have to enter one of the numbers incorrectly, round it up or down when it would have been rounded the other way. So for the one user where his 2 numbers ".01" and ".49" were rounded down and his ".50" total rounded up he would simply manually override TT and round down the ".50". Similar thing I did for my problem but now my entry doesn't really match my tax form being submitted to IRS.

TurboTax shouldn't be allowed to round! I have been struggling to get my balance sheet to reconcile in TurboTax after entering the data from my RECONCILED balance sheet in QuickBooks. The only way I could get it to balance in TurboTax was to enter incorrect information in one of the cells. Unacceptable Intuit! This is obviously a problem that needs to be resolved by turning off the rounding; especially for the balance sheet reconciliation. The two Intuit programs should at least match by working the same way shouldn't they!?!

This is still a problem in 2021!!!  

@IntuitAustin  why is this bug still present after 2 whole years??

• The only way to save your sanity is rounding up or down at data entry. If bottom-line AGI does not exactly match the IRS, same response will be "good enough for government". No one at the IRS will be concerned of petty differences caused by rounding. Every government financial statement will say footnote  "due to rounding error".

Turbotax should not be forcing rounding on all these forms--- it results in inaccurate totals -and often costs the taxpayer more

THE IRS does NOT require rounding -- where does Turbotax get off forcing it on everyone at line items -- this is way worse than what they did last year

If I have to proof every single entry and manipulate the entries to make them match reality, then I will go back to using paper forms and a calculator - this is ridiculous

I agree for different reasons.  I wanted to file electronically but cannot because it validates last year's AGI.  My AGI last year had cents, but I cannot include cents since Intuit rounds, therefore I have to mail in my return.  I hope they correct this, at least in that validation field.

It's probably not rejecting for the cents.  It took the IRS a long time last year to process returns, especially mailed returns.  So you should use 0 for the AGI.  That's been working for most people.  

Thank you VolvoGirl, your suggestion of 0 AGI solved my problem!  I was able to EFile.

retflavet
Returning Member

I have a TurboTax Case [phone number removed] that I need OPEN and not CLOSED relating to TT rounding my 1040ES form from .51 to a whole dollar on my Quarterly estimate tax for 2022 taxes.

All 4 of my quarterly payments plus my payment for April were submitted in dollar amounts with .51.

What do you suggest now that the water has gone under the bridge, I am currently working on my 2022 taxes since the amounts are over stated is there a way to override these number?

Thanks awaiting a good alternative to solve TT calculating deficiency.

Simple.  Just change them a little and enter them as whole dollars.  Add $1 to the first 2 payments and drop the cents on the last 2.  It will only come out 4 cents short.  And never enter cents when you pay the IRS or state in the future.  

S0S
Level 1

NO! TurboTax automatically rounds off my Estimated Tax entries, and the IRS doesn't . This  triggers an IRS letter, stating "We changed your (year)1040 form to match our record of your estimated tax payments, credits applied from another tax year, and/or payments received with an extension to file. As a result we adjusted your estimated tax total."

If you don't contact them by (Date), they'll proceed as if you agree with the information on your notice.

If you agree with the changes they made:
You don't need to do anything.

If you don't agree with the changes they made:"
Call (phone number) using "your caller ID" provided on the top of page one to review your account with a representative. Be sure to have your account information available when you call, or you can contact them by mail. If they don't hear from you they'll assume you agree with the information on your notice.

The only solution I see is to pay your estimated taxes in rounded-off numbers, use the IRS free federal filing www.freetaxusa.com, or find another tax service that doesn't round off your numbers. Intuit isn't going to fix anything, unless it costs them money!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies