turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Must I pay tax this year if I transfer bitcoin from Coinbase to a hardware wallet if I do NOT spend any of the money?

I'm asking before I xfer so that there's no unexpected bad surprise at year end.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Must I pay tax this year if I transfer bitcoin from Coinbase to a hardware wallet if I do NOT spend any of the money?

"In 2014, the IRS issued a notice clarifying that it treats digital currencies such as Bitcoin as capital assets and are therefore subject to capital gains taxes. “The notice provides that virtual currency is treated as property for U.S. federal tax purposes,” it reads. “General tax principles that apply to property transactions apply to transactions using virtual currency.”

The character of gain or loss from the sale or exchange of virtual currency depends on whether the virtual currency is a capital asset in the hands of the taxpayer.

Thus, not every transfer of funds is considered a sale. For the user, sending bitcoins from a Coinbase account to their Trezor hardware wallet, for example, is only a transfer and not a sale since the user is still in possession of the coins.

“You should keep your own records for best results and update the report accordingly,” Coinbase support explains. “For example, if you transfer funds offsite to a desktop wallet, and then back again, you would not count this as a sale of digital currency.”

http://bitcoinist.com/irs-tax-bitcoin-coinbase/

Super thank you!

This sounds like wrong information.
While you do not pay taxes on the entire BTC amount transferred, when you transfer BTCfrom CoinBase to a local wallet there is a transfer fee associated with the transaction.
That fee is paid in BTC to the miners on the network.
I believe you will owe taxes on that fee as that transfer is considered a service.
As always consult a tax professional for more information

If you are the person collecting the fee then it is income to you .... if you are the person paying the fee then it is a cost of doing business.

What is the consensus here? Transferring to wallet ... is like selling some coin to pay for the transfer?

The forthcoming Bitcoin halving will definitely impact Bitcoin mining and price in a big way. I will warn investors not to invest with small companies because It will cause a massive shake in the mining industry which will sieve out the smaller operators to make more room for larger mining operators who have access to cheaper energy supply. Contact; <email removed> If you wish to invest in bitcoin mining or trading so as to cash out BIG quickly without doing anything at all. This crypto professional team made me a lot of money in few weeks and I have accumulated 18 bitcoin already saved in my hardware wallet. They are also capable of retrieving stolen bitcoin back from online hackers and scammers. Just send an email to them for any issues at all bitcoin related and PLEASE store your coins in a hardware wallet because bitcoin is about to rocket up to 100,000 anytime after the halving event. I know this because the last halving that happened in 2016 caused a massive bull run to 20k afterwards in 2017. Invest now

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies