Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

snow plow

Imported 1099Bs are getting assigned the wrong person’s SSN on our joint return. How do I override this? Taxpayer, spouse, joint options are not available.

I've imported the financial data from several institutions. For some reason, TurboTax thinks that the accounts belongs to the "taxpayer". For 1099-INT and 1099-DIV forms, I can override that by selecting "joint" or "spouse" on the form where applicable. How do you set "joint" or "spouse" on the imported 1099B data?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Imported 1099Bs are getting assigned the wrong person’s SSN on our joint return. How do I override this? Taxpayer, spouse, joint options are not available.

on a joint return, it's not going to matter because the SSN associated with the a/c is not reported to the IRS by Turbotax.  By default the first taxpayer listed on the return is listed on forms 8949  and Schedule D.

Be aware that any imported document can be overridden by going to the specific section. For 1099-INT or 1099-DIV go to Personal Income then select I'll choose what I work on which will show all the income sections. Go to Interest and Dividends and select the update button right to them. It will show the list of all 1099-INT or 1099-DIV depending on which option was selected. Once you select the one that needs to be fixed, under the section named "This interest belongs to..." select between the options: you, your spouse, or both. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies