rlajoie04

Im a foster parent and one of my foster children were claimed without permission. the children have lived with me for the entire year

How do I find out which child was claimed. It caused my claim to be rejected
Vanessa

If your return was rejected due to one of your foster children's SSN already being used or claimed by someone else as a dependent, you have two options

1. Print and mail your return.  The IRS will use the Tie Breaker Rules to determine who gets to claim the child
  2. Remove the child from your return, which means you would not get any credits, exemptions or deductions for him or her but you would be able to e-file. 

If you choose to Print and Mail your return, it may take a bit longer for them to process your return than normal as they will likely request additional information.  You can attach a letter to your return explaining the situation to potentially speed up the process, however, that is not a guarantee it will actually speed it up.