turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hagang

Bug in the software. Maryland 502 form line #17 says all taxpayers must choose either the standard or itemized deduction.The entire section is left blank on printed form.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Bug in the software. Maryland 502 form line #17 says all taxpayers must choose either the standard or itemized deduction.The entire section is left blank on printed form.

If your Maryland Adjusted Gross Income on Line 16 of Form 502 is under the Filing Threshold of $12,000, Lines 17 through 39 are left blank by TurboTax.  These lines are left blank because if you don't have any taxable income for Maryland Purposes, these lines do not affect anything on your return.

[Please click the screenshot box below for MD Filing Thresholds for all filing statuses.]

I understand this may be confusing because like you mentioned above, Line 17 says you must select one of the methods.  However, I have used several different tax software programs and they all leave those lines blank if your income is under the filing threshold.  It may have something to do with the e-filing process that requires that they do this.

Rest assured, your Maryland return is still being calculated correctly and the addition of those lines would not change your refund.

If you have any further concerns, please comment below so I can further assist you.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies