Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was self employed until the middle of August with home childcare. Now I'm working at Head Start and no longer self employed. Which form do I pick this year to work on?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I was self employed until the middle of August with home childcare. Now I'm working at Head Start and no longer self employed. Which form do I pick this year to work on?

If you're using TurboTax you don't "pick" an income tax form, TurboTax uses the income tax return that fits your situation, depending on your input.  Presumably you'll have both self employment income to report - that goes on Schedule C - and you'll have wage income to report - that goes on line 7 of all the "flavors" of Form 1040, (Form 1040EZ, Form 1040A and plain Form 1040).

You need to file a Form 1040 if you're reporting income on Schedule C, (and related expenses), and that generally dictates TurboTax Home & Business, (desktop), or TurboTax Self-employed, (online).  Actually, any of the desktop versions do support Schedule C and Form 1040, but the "Home & Business" version has the most complete "self-employed" interview. 

Tom Young

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If you're using TurboTax you don't "pick" an income tax form, TurboTax uses the income tax return that fits your situation, depending on your input.  Presumably you'll have both self employment income to report - that goes on Schedule C - and you'll have wage income to report - that goes on line 7 of all the "flavors" of Form 1040, (Form 1040EZ, Form 1040A and plain Form 1040).

You need to file a Form 1040 if you're reporting income on Schedule C, (and related expenses), and that generally dictates TurboTax Home & Business, (desktop), or TurboTax Self-employed, (online).  Actually, any of the desktop versions do support Schedule C and Form 1040, but the "Home & Business" version has the most complete "self-employed" interview. 

Tom Young

Thank you so much!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies