Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

s-v137

Hi, i just filed my tax return, but i had to pay $300 for not having the health insurance, can i get that waived? i changed my job so had to wait 3 months,

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

Hi, i just filed my tax return, but i had to pay $300 for not having the health insurance, can i get that waived? i changed my job so had to wait 3 months,

If you had insurance for any portion of that three-month period, then the penalty would be waived.

The IRS says that if you had insurance for even one day of the month, then you can report you had insurance for the month. they also say that you can get an exemption for a short-term gap of up to two months.

If you had no insurance for three months, then for 2016, you would not be eligible for an exemption because of your change in employment.

You might want to check the federal healthcare web site to see if you qualify for this or other exemptions. They have a simple screening questionnaire that you might find helpful

s-v137

Thanks, so can I get refund for 2 months, ? because they can make an exemption for a gap of 2 months, and I can pay for one month, ( which I already paid for 3 months with my tax return).

Can I call IRS directly and see what they can do? Or health provider? Could you please provide me with their contact information. I didn't expect the penalty would be that high.

Thank you
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

The Healthcare Marketplace is the one that grants exemptions (or your state's marketplace, if you live in a state that bought into Obamacare). You are unlikely to get through to the IRS in the next two days. You could also try the Taxpayer Advocate Service. These are volunteers who work with the IRS. <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/advocate">https://www.irs.gov/advocate</a>
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies