turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I don't know where to enter the IHSS tax exempt for IRS

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BarbaraW22
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

If you are asking if IHSS payments are taxable, this depends on whether the provider lives with the recipient of the services. Per IRS Notice 2014-7 and the California Department of Social Services, wages received for In-Home Supportive Services by providers who live with the recipient of those services are not considered part of gross income for federal or state income tax purposes. 

If you are asking how to report IHSS payments on your tax return, this depends on several factors:

• If you did not receive a W-2 or other tax form, you do not need to report the payments on your return. These payments are specifically exempt from income tax.
  • If you received a W-2 or other tax form (such as a 1099), you should enter the information in TurboTax and then show an offset for this entry so that you will not be taxed on this income. By entering the information into TurboTax, you will reconcile your tax return with what the IRS has received and then show the corresponding offset to explain why it is not taxable. (Please see the steps listed below.)
  • You can also choose to report the payments as earned income in order to receive the earned income credit or other credits, even if you did not receive a W-2 or other tax form. In a recent court case, it was ruled that Medicaid Waiver Payments and IHSS payments are considered "earned income" for purposes of calculating the earned income tax credit and other credits.  

Here are the steps to enter your IHSS payments in TurboTax:

1. Log into TurboTax and click on any topic to continue
  2. Click on Federal from the menu on the left-hand side and then click on Wages & Income at the top
  3. If you choose to report your payments to receive a credit: Click Edit/Add next to Job (W-2) and then click on Add a W-2.
  4. If you actually received a W-2 for your IHSS Payments, enter the information as reported on your W-2. Enter the amount you received for IHSS Payments in Box 1 (even if this amount is not reported in box 1 of your W-2.)
  5. If you did not receive a W-2, per IRS Form 1040 Instructions, you may still enter the amount of IHSS Payments in Box 1 for the purpose of claiming the credit.
  6. If you received a 1099 and choose not to report it as earned income to receive a credit: Scroll down to "Less Common Income" and click on Show More.
  7. Click on Start or Revisit next to Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C. Then click on Start or Revisit next to Other reportable income and select Yes
  8. Enter "In-Home Supportive Services Payments, EIN # (enter EIN number from 1099)" in the description box and then enter the amount from your 1099. Click Continue.
  9. To enter the offset for the payments (whether you chose to report as earned income or a 1099): Click on Wages and Income at the top. Scroll down to "Less Common Income" and click on Show More. 
  10. Click on Start or Revisit next to Miscellaneous Income and then click on Start or Revisit next to Other Reportable Income and select "Yes" or "Add Another Income Item" if applicable
  11. In the "Description" section, enter "IRS Notice 2014-7 excludable income" and in the "Amount" section, enter the W-2 box 1 amount (or amount of IHSS Payments) as a negative (-) number

@cstrausnew

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

32 Replies
NancyG

If you do not receive a W-2, you do not have to do anything.  

However, see the following to report the W-2 and then take off the income as non-taxable.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4360071

jpydmm

Thank you, Nancy G!
user32745

I have the same issue, but my problem is how do i report this in my Calif State return?
My IHHS W-2 indicates box# 16 amount, How do i make this amount non taxable in my State tax return?
any help is appreciated

Does all IHSS income fall under this exception?
jpydmm

Can you describe what income you're referring to? If you are a parent provider or the recipient lives in your home then it is exempt.
jpydmm

The IHSS income would not be exempt if you are working as a provider to a recipient not living in your home.

This does  not help. The income IS exempt but FICA etc were deducted and PAID IN.

BarbaraW22
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

If you are asking if IHSS payments are taxable, this depends on whether the provider lives with the recipient of the services. Per IRS Notice 2014-7 and the California Department of Social Services, wages received for In-Home Supportive Services by providers who live with the recipient of those services are not considered part of gross income for federal or state income tax purposes. 

If you are asking how to report IHSS payments on your tax return, this depends on several factors:

• If you did not receive a W-2 or other tax form, you do not need to report the payments on your return. These payments are specifically exempt from income tax.
  • If you received a W-2 or other tax form (such as a 1099), you should enter the information in TurboTax and then show an offset for this entry so that you will not be taxed on this income. By entering the information into TurboTax, you will reconcile your tax return with what the IRS has received and then show the corresponding offset to explain why it is not taxable. (Please see the steps listed below.)
  • You can also choose to report the payments as earned income in order to receive the earned income credit or other credits, even if you did not receive a W-2 or other tax form. In a recent court case, it was ruled that Medicaid Waiver Payments and IHSS payments are considered "earned income" for purposes of calculating the earned income tax credit and other credits.  

Here are the steps to enter your IHSS payments in TurboTax:

1. Log into TurboTax and click on any topic to continue
  2. Click on Federal from the menu on the left-hand side and then click on Wages & Income at the top
  3. If you choose to report your payments to receive a credit: Click Edit/Add next to Job (W-2) and then click on Add a W-2.
  4. If you actually received a W-2 for your IHSS Payments, enter the information as reported on your W-2. Enter the amount you received for IHSS Payments in Box 1 (even if this amount is not reported in box 1 of your W-2.)
  5. If you did not receive a W-2, per IRS Form 1040 Instructions, you may still enter the amount of IHSS Payments in Box 1 for the purpose of claiming the credit.
  6. If you received a 1099 and choose not to report it as earned income to receive a credit: Scroll down to "Less Common Income" and click on Show More.
  7. Click on Start or Revisit next to Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C. Then click on Start or Revisit next to Other reportable income and select Yes
  8. Enter "In-Home Supportive Services Payments, EIN # (enter EIN number from 1099)" in the description box and then enter the amount from your 1099. Click Continue.
  9. To enter the offset for the payments (whether you chose to report as earned income or a 1099): Click on Wages and Income at the top. Scroll down to "Less Common Income" and click on Show More. 
  10. Click on Start or Revisit next to Miscellaneous Income and then click on Start or Revisit next to Other Reportable Income and select "Yes" or "Add Another Income Item" if applicable
  11. In the "Description" section, enter "IRS Notice 2014-7 excludable income" and in the "Amount" section, enter the W-2 box 1 amount (or amount of IHSS Payments) as a negative (-) number

@cstrausnew

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
sarah261

Hi BarbaraW22, 

I followed your instructions but noticed I still have a refund amount for both my state and federal. Is that common when the income is an excludable income? I I just want to make sure I am doing it right. 

• Entered total wages from box 1 and box 16 on my W2. 
  • Then Followed steps 9-11 of your instructions to enter the offset for the payments. 
  • Added "IRS Notice 2014-7 Excludable Income" as the description and added a negative ( "-") in the amount section before the wage amount from box 1 on my W2.  

for FYI purposes: I am currently a IHSS care giver for someone who lives in my home and did receive a W2. 

Hello,

I tried to follow your advice and using Turbo Tax Premiere for 2019. When I clicked on "Other Reportable Income", it takes me to "Other Taxable Income" along with "Enter a brief description and amount for any item of miscellaneous taxable income you received in 2019". It then asks me Description along with amount but does not have a box to enter EIN. 

When I enter the amount, it is considering as taxable and increasing my tax due.

Please help.

Thanks,

Krishna.

Danasj

I received a W-2 but I live with the recipient.  Should I still enter it? How do I make that income exempt? It raised my federal amount owed a lot. 

@Danasj wrote:

I received a W-2 but I live with the recipient.  Should I still enter it? How do I make that income exempt? It raised my federal amount owed a lot. 

Your post does not make sense.   If *you* received a W-2 then you are the recipient.    If your name and SSN is not on  the W-2 then *you* cannot receive a W-2.

If someone else received the W-2 then  it does not go on your tax return, it can only go on their own tax return.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Danasj

I received income from Ihss for being a caregiver to my mom that lives with me. I've heard this income is exempt but I did receive a w-2. How do I claim this on my 1040? 

@Danasj wrote:

I received income from Ihss for being a caregiver to my mom that lives with me. I've heard this income is exempt but I did receive a w-2. How do I claim this on my 1040? 

If the W-2 is filled out correctly by the issuer box 1, 2, & 17 should be zero or blank and the W-2 is not entered into TurboTax at all.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies