turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My dependent son 18 in college, will be claimed on my taxes; I understand he has to file his tax separate, FT student made less than $5000; Please advise forms to use?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SeanE1

My dependent son 18 in college, will be claimed on my taxes; I understand he has to file his tax separate, FT student made less than $5000; Please advise forms to use?

If you are claiming your son on your tax return as your dependent, he will not be able to claim himself on his own tax return.  Given that, you son can earn up to $6,300 in 2016 before being required to file a tax return.  So if the $5,000 is his only income for 2016, he is not required to file a tax return.  If taxes were withheld from his pay, he may want to file in order to have the taxes that were taken out refunded back to him.  He would just file a 1040EZ tax form if all he had was that $5,000.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
SeanE1

If you are claiming your son on your tax return as your dependent, he will not be able to claim himself on his own tax return.  Given that, you son can earn up to $6,300 in 2016 before being required to file a tax return.  So if the $5,000 is his only income for 2016, he is not required to file a tax return.  If taxes were withheld from his pay, he may want to file in order to have the taxes that were taken out refunded back to him.  He would just file a 1040EZ tax form if all he had was that $5,000.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies