turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

smitty225

My state return was rejected twice for note having the state code in a 1099-MISC. TT does not seem to be able to fix this.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MicheleR

My state return was rejected twice for note having the state code in a 1099-MISC. TT does not seem to be able to fix this.

If there is a value entered under 1099MISC Box 16 -18, a two-letter state abbreviation must be entered for each state reporting state withholdings, state payer ID number or state income. 

If the 1099-MISC does not have state withholdings, state payer ID number or state income, no state abbreviation is needed. 

• Please log into your TurboTax Account and proceed to "fix" the rejection. 
  • Once in the return click on the "Federal" tab located in your Menu Bar on the left side of the screen.
  • From here you can click on "Wages & Income" to access your 1099-Misc.
  • Click "Edit" (pencil icon)

Review your 1099-Misc - In box 17 it will say (State/Payer's State No) - Here is where you would enter the State Abbreviation and the State Number (Example: CA/52 58965412) from off your 1099-Misc. If there are no amounts in boxes 16 or 18, you can delete all the information in box 17. 

Verify all information is correct and be sure not to change anything else. You want to keep it exactly as it was filed with the IRS other than those entries on the 1099-MISC.

However, if the reject continues, you may want to file this return via U.S. Mail. To file your state return, print it and mail to the appropriate taxing authority.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MicheleR

If there is a value entered under 1099MISC Box 16 -18, a two-letter state abbreviation must be entered for each state reporting state withholdings, state payer ID number or state income. 

If the 1099-MISC does not have state withholdings, state payer ID number or state income, no state abbreviation is needed. 

• Please log into your TurboTax Account and proceed to "fix" the rejection. 
  • Once in the return click on the "Federal" tab located in your Menu Bar on the left side of the screen.
  • From here you can click on "Wages & Income" to access your 1099-Misc.
  • Click "Edit" (pencil icon)

Review your 1099-Misc - In box 17 it will say (State/Payer's State No) - Here is where you would enter the State Abbreviation and the State Number (Example: CA/52 58965412) from off your 1099-Misc. If there are no amounts in boxes 16 or 18, you can delete all the information in box 17. 

Verify all information is correct and be sure not to change anything else. You want to keep it exactly as it was filed with the IRS other than those entries on the 1099-MISC.

However, if the reject continues, you may want to file this return via U.S. Mail. To file your state return, print it and mail to the appropriate taxing authority.

kmaddalo

We have scenarios that will require us to include a State/Payer's state no. on some of our 1099's.  However, I don't have access to these numbers!  I've searched the Internet without success.    Can anyone help with this issue.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Are you entering 1099-MISC that you received or filing 1099-MISC to contractors you used? 

If you  are trying to file a 1099-MISC as income and there is no state ID number on it, please click the link below for help. 

CLICK HERE FOR MORE HELP

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies