Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

srorcoast

I don't have my employers state ID number

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GeoffreyG

You really do not need this number to file your tax return; but please allow us to explain.

While it is preferred that you use an employer's state ID number if you have one, it's not essential if you don't.  The only truly indispensable elements on a W-2 for income tax filing purposes are your employer's federal EIN (Employer's ID number), your own Social Security Number (SSN), and your actual wage data.

In fact, the IRS computers and your state department of revenue really won't need this number, as, again, they're really just looking for the EIN, SSN, and relevant wage data.  The State ID is simply a bureaucratic convention for your state; they can and will still be able to easily and uniquely identify your employer by their federal EIN, even if they have to cross-reference the Federal / State ID numbers in their database.  In other words, this single issue should not affect the processing of your tax return.

Also, if you are employed and living in a state without an income tax, try removing the wage data in Box 16.

If there is any issue with Box 15 that prevents e-filing your return, and it absolutely requires a value in the software, then either use your Federal EIN, or enter a "fictitious" value such as 12345 67890 (with a space in the middle, or not).  If the TurboTax program asks you for a state ID number in a specific format, such as needing exactly 9-digits and ending in XYZ, then enter a value that conforms to that format . . . such as 123456XYZ.  This should enable you to bypass the issue and file your tax return normally.

Thank you for asking this question.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
GeoffreyG

You really do not need this number to file your tax return; but please allow us to explain.

While it is preferred that you use an employer's state ID number if you have one, it's not essential if you don't.  The only truly indispensable elements on a W-2 for income tax filing purposes are your employer's federal EIN (Employer's ID number), your own Social Security Number (SSN), and your actual wage data.

In fact, the IRS computers and your state department of revenue really won't need this number, as, again, they're really just looking for the EIN, SSN, and relevant wage data.  The State ID is simply a bureaucratic convention for your state; they can and will still be able to easily and uniquely identify your employer by their federal EIN, even if they have to cross-reference the Federal / State ID numbers in their database.  In other words, this single issue should not affect the processing of your tax return.

Also, if you are employed and living in a state without an income tax, try removing the wage data in Box 16.

If there is any issue with Box 15 that prevents e-filing your return, and it absolutely requires a value in the software, then either use your Federal EIN, or enter a "fictitious" value such as 12345 67890 (with a space in the middle, or not).  If the TurboTax program asks you for a state ID number in a specific format, such as needing exactly 9-digits and ending in XYZ, then enter a value that conforms to that format . . . such as 123456XYZ.  This should enable you to bypass the issue and file your tax return normally.

Thank you for asking this question.

Is this still valid in 2018/2019?
Horne2010

Help zaxbys employer state number

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Your employer’s Employer Identification Number (EIN) can be found in box b of your W-2.  If you worked for the same employer last year, the EIN would have been on last year’s W-2. 

Sometimes the EIN is located on your weekly paystub.

You can go the employer’s human resources and ask for their EIN but don’t be surprised if they will not tell you.  That would be like asking someone what their Social Security number is.

If TurboTax is partnering with your employer and is allowed to download their W-2’s, your employer would be listed here.

This TurboTax Help may be useful.  This may be useful.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Jahrima10
Returning Member

I Have Already got in contact with the IRS To Get My W-2 n I get a paper work in the mail.... Am Having trouble Filing my Taxes Where it keep asking for a employer state Id number and am not seeing it on the paper that was send in the mail...

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

The state identification number in box 15 is not required to file your tax return.  However, TurboTax requires an entry to continue with your tax preparation.  You can just enter a number, less than 14 digits, as your employer's state ID number.  This will allow you to continue with your tax return.  

I don’t have my state id number 

Bumpy1157

Work for purfoods llc I have feberal tax id number

I used a made up number.

The Federal Tax ID number is too long.  It could only be 7 digits for Minnesota.  TurboxTax said 9999999 would be rejected.  A comment suggested using the Federal Tax ID.   for me, that was ##-#######.

On my W-2, my employer put APPLIED FOR as the code.   TurboTax rejected this when I was going through final electronic filing.   (TurboTax should have made me fix this earlier, although if this is just a requirement for electronic submission, then OK, wait until its really needed to make me fix it.)

I made up a number.  I hope it works.

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

If it doesn't work then mail in the Minnesota return.

SOaxaca

This rings a bell...I think I used 9999999 back in 2017 when I had this problem.  I have the same issue (missing number in my 1099-B) again this year and have been struggling to remember how I solved it last time...

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

Yes, If box 15, State Employer ID, is blank on your W-2, your e-file return should still go through just fine, as long as there are no other errors on your return.  Your state department of revenue will be able to easily identify your employer from their 9-digit federal EIN, so the state ID number is a little redundant anyway, but is still a way that your state tracks employers in their internal state computer system. 

If you are receiving an error for box 15, try using the federal ID in that box or if the state requires a particular format, such as ending in XYZ, then enter 99999999XYZ for the number of digits it specifies.

If the error persists, try deleting the form and reentering it.  If you have "copied and pasted" to enter some of the information, it might have spaces or other invisible formatting characters that are causing the errors.  Please be sure there are no extra spaces before the entries or after the entries.  If you have imported into Turbo Tax, perhaps some of the data was damaged in the transfer and is not working properly, even if it looks correct on the page.  Deleting the W-2 and manually entering it should solve the problem.

I am using TurboTax 2021 Premier on a Macintosh computer with MacOS 11.6,.4 (Big Sur). I am having a problem with the Ohio State ID printing out correctly on the Ohio State tax return. It leaves out the last digit.

In federal forms, I checked Form W-2 and in Box 15 is the correct 9 digit Ohio Employer’s ID.

I Then went to the Ohio forms and selected the Schedule IT-WH (copy 1). The last digit of the employer’s ID was missing. So, I selected it and choose override from the menu and added the last digit. I printed out the Ohio Return Only. The last digit still did not print out.

How can I fix it? I want to file electronically but do not want send the wrong Ohio employer’s ID.

Is this a bug in the program? I did not have this problem last year.

Will it still file electronically to Ohio and be accepted if the last digit of the Ohio Employer ID is missing?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

That shouldn't really pose a problem -- or at least not one that will prevent you from filing your tax return.  

The only truly necessary elements on a W-2 for income tax filing purposes are your employer's federal EIN (Employer's ID number), your own Social Security Number (SSN), and your actual wage data.

With respect to the employer state number ID, it won't really matter what you input in Box 15 Employer ID, as long as the software will accept it (explained below). 

Simply enter as many digits as you can, from the number you have, as printed on your W-2, starting from the beginning (left-side).  If there are any "leading" zeros, or other figures like AA or something, then you can leave those off as well.

Click this link for more  info on Employer State ID is Too Long.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies